Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Post your Suburban MPG and what you've done to improve it!

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2014, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2003 CHevy Suburban 5.3 L. I consistently get 17.4 mpg average according to vehicle computer readout. I reset trip mileage and always average between 17 and 17.6 mpg. This is mix of around town and highway miles. I drive like a grandma according to my kids. I also use cruise control whenever possible.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

’97 K1500 LT Suburban, had it since July ’12, now has 76,650 miles on it. I get ~11mpg city (most of what I do), but I did take one freeway trip, total 250 miles, and I didn’t check the mileage, but it did considerably-better.

Thing with me is, I’m retired and drive very little, like maybe 1,600 miles in the past twelve months, so it’s not worth it for me to spend money on some gadget to get better mileage as it would take quite a while for the investment to pay for itself. I do think I’ll try a few more pounds of air in the tires, and I got new spark plugs but haven’t put them in yet.

Plus I don’t think there’s anything that would do much.

Old February 4th, 2014, 7:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you guys are getting some nice numbers. 14.4 AVG MPG according to the car. instant hangs around 15 when on the highway, highest average was a trip to florida, straight through, only stopped for gas and food, 16.6 mpg, family of 5, and had a roof top carrier, was amazed...
Old February 4th, 2014, 7:51 PM
CF Active Member

I pay NO attention to the DIC because its never correct. I base my mileage on how many miles vs. how many gallons i purchase every sat. morn. when i get gas. In the winter i get
12 mpg in the city. Keep in mind my winters are not yours. we have had weeks worth of neg. double digit temps in the morn. and nothing runs good. In decent weather i get from 14-15 city and avg. 18.5 on the hiway. On long road trips with the cruise set on 62 which is as fast as i will run i have gotten 20.5 with the 6.0 motor tuned to economy mode with my Edge CS tuner
Old February 4th, 2014, 8:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up-state ny winters suck. And one the highway, cruise in NY normally at 74, out of state following people, 78~80

Oh, and Firestone A/T all year round... Nice being able to drive on a road with 3 inches of unplowed snow in 2 WD with confidence haha.

Last edited by Joe In NY; February 4th, 2014 at 8:35 PM.
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:38 AM
CF Junior Member

I've actually found my DIC to be very accurate. I've been remote starting my Burb all Jan and Feb, most of the time twice(10min each), before I get in a drive way in the morning. My in town average is down to the low 13Mpg because you're getting 0 MPG for 15+ minutes.

Going off of the pumps isn't accurate either. More variables in that equation: Different gas stations, multiple pumps at each, and temperature all play into using the numbers your referencing.

The DIC is based off of the injectors consumption and mileage recorded, correct? This never changes unless you fix/upgrade the system.

Originally Posted by LTL4life
I pay NO attention to the DIC because its never correct. I base my mileage on how many miles vs. how many gallons i purchase every sat. morn. when i get gas. In the winter i get
12 mpg in the city. Keep in mind my winters are not yours. we have had weeks worth of neg. double digit temps in the morn. and nothing runs good. In decent weather i get from 14-15 city and avg. 18.5 on the hiway. On long road trips with the cruise set on 62 which is as fast as i will run i have gotten 20.5 with the 6.0 motor tuned to economy mode with my Edge CS tuner
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah no doubt that the cold weather is affecting MPG, I suspect too that more idling to warn vehicles up has a lot to do with it, that and spending more time sitting in traffic due to poor road conditions...
Old February 6th, 2014, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

99 gmc suburban 5.7. 14 around town. Take one long trip every year from Seattle area to palm springs, usually get 16ish. Got a tail wind out of Sacto 2 years ago and got 18.
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by bird
I've actually found my DIC to be very accurate. I've been remote starting my Burb all Jan and Feb, most of the time twice(10min each), before I get in a drive way in the morning. My in town average is down to the low 13Mpg because you're getting 0 MPG for 15+ minutes.

Going off of the pumps isn't accurate either. More variables in that equation: Different gas stations, multiple pumps at each, and temperature all play into using the numbers your referencing.

The DIC is based off of the injectors consumption and mileage recorded, correct? This never changes unless you fix/upgrade the system.
My DIC is way off. It has never been accurate……
Old February 7th, 2014, 6:13 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by bird

I will take your word for it but Fuel pumps in this state are more accurate then the GM Gadget. I will average my mpg's the old school accurate way by fillups
versus miles driven

Quick Reply: Post your Suburban MPG and what you've done to improve it!