Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Lift Gate

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable

It is unbelievable that someone can take a 19-throwaway car and make it into a lowrider that can lift itself off of the ground and dance - but yet I can't find anyone who can do an after-market power liftgate for my Suburban for under $5,000.

For those who think it is a frivolous option, believe me it is NOT. With 3 kids (2 in car seats), SOMEONE has to get into the 3rd row easily and around the car seats...I used to have a '07 Yukon with the power liftgate and my oldest would enter/exit through the back...easy peasy!

Someone needs to come up with a way to do this!
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to be rude but why did you not simply buy a Suburban with this option already if you got rid of your '07 Yukon that had it and you really used it a lot?
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wife

i think finding a new wife might be cheaper and easier...

You have to spec your GM cars BEFORE you buy them. Not AFTER.

tell the child/mom/dad to use some muscle and LIFT the tail gate. Next you will want doors that open/close for you...

(Yes, I have the power lift gate and love it)... but I spec'd mine before I bought it.

IF anything, what we need to take away here is that GM makes it more than a hassle and a 1/2 to modify or add anything to GM products. Order it up front, or forget it exists...(i don't make the world, I just live in it).

My friend w/a 2011 Caddy, CAN'T add factory remote start... now GM says he can! but can he?! that waits to be seen...

I'd like to add the iphone features to my 2009 tahoe... GM says I can't...

Like people on here adding the escalade tail lights, or the factory sat nav, it's a lot easier to just order / find it that way...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; June 3rd, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 2:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

momof3kids1hubbywelcome to the forum
An after market lift gate sounds easy but there is LOTS of liability involved...
it has to not crush you or any of your insubordinate subordinates, not pinch,catch, tear or otherwise bump you so that you could sue the manufacture(s).....
STS had the best advice, buy what you want at the time of purchase its almost always cheaper in the long run....
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

My husband would probably opt for the new (and cheaper) wife, but since that's NOT going to happen.... :-)

The truth of the matter is that my Yukon had every conceivable option without being a Denali. What I learned with that purchase is that there are a LOT of options I can definitely live without....SO with that thought in mind, I found a used 2010 LT which gave us the desired extra room, and as an added bonus, our payments were drastically reduced (win-win). Plus, my Yukon had 140K due to the miles I drive for work every year....it was time to trade it in. My only concern about this particular suburban was the power lift gate....which both my husband and I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that he could install after the fact. It appears that option is only available on the LTZ (which has all the bells and whistles I don't need and is more than we wanted to spend). SO - that's my story.

By the way, in2pro, the liftgate I had on the Yukon actually had a safety feature that re-opened the gate if something (person, thing) got in the way while it was closing (kind of like a garage door that will go back up if it encounters any resistance on the way down), but you're right...in our litigious society that is a real concern.
Old June 5th, 2011, 9:25 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Probably the easiest and cheapest is to get the parts thru a salvage yard. But it is quite involved.
Old June 6th, 2011, 7:38 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default bet

your best bet would have been to have kept the original one you liked.

140,000 miles is nothing for a modern car... my old tahoe had 285,000 on it before the A/C went out, and it was still running strong.

I bet you paid sales tax on the replacement... or did you roll what you owed into the new one?

Keep you cars longer! 10 YEARS min! Get you money out of them!

I know way too many people who have gone through way too many cars, and it just causes stress and $$ loss... I buy mine and keep them at least 10 if not more years. Last tahoe was 14 years old at sale. and it still RAN!
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Aftermaket Power Liftgate! Stratec PLG!! Clean Installation

These guys did a sweet power liftgate aftermaket setup and it wasn't that expensive!! Its a Stratec Power liftgate Check it out!

Power Liftgate 2012 Kia Soul GP Customs - YouTube

Last edited by 73shark; March 29th, 2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Removed links