Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Problem with engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with engine cutting out

Hi, I have a 97 Suburban. Several months ago. This problem began. Shortly after starting the car, it would cut out. Usually when coming to a stop sign. It only needed to be started once or twice again, and then it was good to go for the rest of the day. Eventually, the problem has grown worse, so that it cuts out when driving (at least during the first 10 minutes). It may cut out and need to be started again 4 or 5 times. Once the car has been driven for 10 or so minutes, the problem is usually resolved for the rest of the day.

I thought it could be a fuel pump, but I am not so sure now. Thinking it could be electrical. My wife thinks that she was able to turn the light switch on and off to help the last time it occured. (I have not confirmed this, though). A few other notes: I only drive the car about once ever 3 weeks. Usually it sits in the driveway. Also, recently, the horn on the car went off while the car was just sitting in the driveway. It had not been driven for weeks. I ended up disconnecting the battery leads to get the horn to stop blowing.

Please offer some suggestions
Old May 6th, 2006, 3:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Problem with engine cutting out

Robbiestuff, One thing I would change that is ceap is the fuel filter. If you never have changed it or know if the last owner did, it may have never been changed! It's on the frame under the driver side. There could be dirt or something restricting the fuel flow.
Good Luck, Dondobe
Old September 2nd, 2006, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Hello robbiestuff. I had the same kind of problem. I have a 6.5 TD. The motor cut out intermittent. What I found out was a bad contact in fuse box in the motor room. One of the fuses to the injection system made bad contact. I twisted the pins on the fuse a little bit, and the problem went away. rgds.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Just to rule things out, but next time you get in the truck go ahead and wiggle the ignition switch in all different directions, and then do this when turning the wheel to see if it cut's out. I had a bad ignition switch that would do this.

I'm also leaning towards the fuse box issue what someone else talked about. Check the fuse area where the battery cable runs into the fuse box. Make sure thast cable, along with the other battery cables are snug. With the vehicle running, just start pulling on these said cables and this should rule this out.

Good Luck !!
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
CF Active Member

Ditto on the fuel filter / fuel pump. It probably is a bad connection somewhere ( probably loose or dirty ) but a fuel filter wouldn'y hurt. Check the spark plugs also. I've seen oul spark plugs or improperly gapped plugs cause similar problems. On the horn issue, it's probably the horn relay.