Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

problem filling up with gas

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2010, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem filling up with gas

Every time i go to fill up with gas the pump kicks out and or gas comes pouring out randomly and i get to frustrated with it so i can never even fill the tank up i only get $30 max in it before i give up... what would be causeing this to happen?? Any help greatly appreciated thanks!! And its an 05 z71 tahoe with around 114,000 miles on er..
Old September 11th, 2010, 3:05 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I'd look for a kinked hose on the filler pipe or obstruction.
Old September 12th, 2010, 9:52 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

sounds like the vent tube is blocked or pinched, get under the vehicle and you should see the filler tube/hose and the vent tube right next to it...

Is the gas pump your at using a vapor recovery system? if so it may not be working and is not allowing the tank to vent correctly, a different pump or gas station will answer that question.....
Old September 13th, 2010, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Alright thanks guys ill probably check the vent tube later today and ill get back to you on it and let you know.. And ive tried many different pumps so i will hope its just a kinked or pluged hose.. Thanks again
Old September 13th, 2010, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

ok so i looked at the vent tube and it appears to be fine no kinks in it so i took it off in 2 different places an blue threw it freely in both directions so it appears there is no obstruction either... is there any thing else that could be causeing this problem?? Oh and i forgot to mention that every time i take the gas cap off it sucks for air real bad so that would also make me think something with the vent tube but i dont know... every time i take the cap off the tank is on empty or very near
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Surprised you're not getting any codes. The fact that there appears to be a vacuum on the tank indicates that the evap. emission system must have a problem but if so, then there be a CEL/MIL. Might get it scanned just to see.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Very shortly after i bought the vehicle the check/service engine light started going on so i took it back and they started a scan but were unable to finish it because i didnt know it was going to take so long and had to get to work but they said maybe i just needed a new gas cap for some reason and i was not haveing the fill up problems yet at that point.. But the light didnt come back on after that for awhile but its been on again now for a good few months.. Is the cap a possibility and are there any places that will do the scan for free? Thanks
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Since there's been quite a few instances recently on this forum, I suspect you may have the same problem.

Most auto part stores will scan for free. It only takes a few minutes.
Old September 14th, 2010, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

alright thanks ill go and get it scanned when i get a chance and let you guys know what the out come is..