Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Problem with OBD2 not connecting to ECM

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2015, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with OBD2 not connecting to ECM

I've browsed through old threads and google looking for anything similar but as of yet have found nothing.
I have a 2000 Suburban 1500 LT 5.3. I have had a "Service engine soon" light on for a few weeks but I drive a truck OTR so I am only home a couple days at a time and this is the first chance I have had to work on it. Today I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 (ELM327). When I first hooked it up I had no power to it at all. I went through all the steps. and discovered a blown fuse in the engine compartment (cigar lighter) which solved that problem.
So now the OBD port has power but no matter what I do the scanner will not communicate with the truck. At first I thought that there may be something wrong w the tool or that it could have been damaged when I hooked it. But I plugged it in to my wife's CTS, and my sons trailblazer and Camaro. All 3 communicated as they should. I uninstalled the software, restarted everything that I could think of but was unable to get any connectivity. Tomorrow I will run by AutoZone and see if their scanner will communicate with it. Has anyone run into this problem? Any suggestions on what my next course of action? Thanks in advance for your time, Chris
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Yes excellent idea to have a sanity check done with a hard wired scanner...
Might want to check the pins in the BT device and your ALDL connector to make sure no pins are bent or pushed back... might also try a q-tip with some alcohol to clean the connector pins.... and of course make sure the fuse is not blown again...
Keep us updated
Old July 26th, 2015, 1:15 AM
CF Beginner

I got called back into work so everything has been postponed. I just got home tonight and plan on doing some work on it tomorrow. I will post my findings. thanks for the reply.
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Problem was the Bluetooth OBD device and not the truck itself. Sucks that I'm gone so much it takes 3 weeks to resolve a small problem like this. Thanks