Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Problem shifting into gear after replacing power booster

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2008, 8:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem shifting into gear after replacing power booster

I just replaced the power booster (vacuum booster) and now I have to press the brake pedal almost to the floor board to shift out of park. Can anyone help with this issue? Is it the push rod being to long or short?
Thanks in advance,
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Problem shifting into gear after replacing power booster

Tim,

You must have moved the brake switch for the shift interlok. It will have to be adjusted properly

Mike
Old April 22nd, 2008, 9:20 PM
CF Junior Member

How do you adjust it and what is it? Is it the plastic piece that is on top of the shaft from the vacuum booster that has an electronic connection? I am to the point where I can't even shift out of park now. Are you sure it isn't the push rod that activates the master cylendoir?
Thanks,
Old April 22nd, 2008, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Tim,

My mistake this switch is not adjustable. This circuit runs thru the brake lamp switch you need to check the wiring at the switch with a 12 volt test lamp or a DVM.

Check the green wire at terminal "E" on the brake switch connector it should have 12 volts at all times key is on position.

Next check the Dark Green and white wire from terminal "F" this circuit should have power when the brake pedal is depressed. This circuit goes to the interlock soleniod and releases the shifter from the park position.

Mike
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are normally three reasons that the shift lever won't come out of park (provided you have the correct brake booster and it is not faulty).
One is a faulty brake-light switch.
The other is a faulty transmission shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid.
And last would be the linkage is binding up.

First, have someone check your brake-lights and see if they are operating, if so how far do you have to depress the brake pedal for the brake-lights to illuminate?

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks XM,
The brake lights are working fine. I finally got it out of park and now have shut it off in neutral with the parking brake engaged. I think it has to do with the booster as it didn't do it until after i replaced it. What is the plastic piece on top of the rod that connects to the brake pedal from the booster? It has a electrical connection to it and I'm wondering if I damaged something in/on it when I changed the booster. I hope that I do not have to replace it as it is very hard to get to and I would have to remove the rod again. Where is the BTSI solenoid and how do you check it (like what lmpz71 said)? I can't keep parking with this thing in neutral as I have to leave the key in it and I want to get it fixed. I don't think that it is a faulty booster as the brakes work well now without releasing air (like they were doing before). Please advise as I need to work on it Thurs. night.
Thanks,
Old April 24th, 2008, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Tim,

The plastic item you are talking about is the brake light switch.

This is where you want to check and see if you may have broken a wire.

The (BTSI) solenoid is near the shift cable connection at the steering column, you will have to remove the lower dash trim panel under the steering column to see and acess.

I suggest you check the brake switch wiring,due to it being so hard to disconnect,you may have broken a wire or two during removal as the wiring in this area is not very long to provide much movement during removal.

Where are you located?

Mike
Old April 24th, 2008, 8:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Garland, Texas (Dallas area)

I can't get a very good look at it. Is it easier to access with the lower dash panel removed? Thanks for your help.