Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Prospective buyer...LS?

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective buyer...LS?

I've been looking at the 2011 Suburban for a family vehicle. I need the storage space for a couple set of golf clubs and room for my chocolate lab. I love the look of the Suburban so exterior changes would be minimal (tint possibly and not really interested in dubs). Mainly utilitarian use BUT I do like a good audio and video in my rides...I have noticed that Chevrolet has stepped up in that category.

However, I will probably customize it to my liking with a Kenwood excelon double din, focal speakers, JL sub, and JL HD multichannel amp. Pretty simple setup...the Kenwood will have Garmin nav, Sirius/XM, HD radio, IPOD control, backup camera...ive just had too much success in my other cars with this setup.

That is why I am just considering the LS, since it would have the basic radio setup. My question is if I should consider the LT without any upgraded stereo from Chevrolet (I am not even sure if that is an available setup). I can get the LS for around 37k...for my application is it worth to consider the LT.

Last edited by AMGfan; October 26th, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old October 27th, 2010, 7:37 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wow umm

have you considered the factory nav system? I have it in my '09...

it has 5.1 surround, a center speaker, a sub in the center, nav, XM, ipod controls, backup camera...

all factory...

While I'm sure aftermarket would be 'better', what's the total cost of all that vs the factory one that's covered bumper to bumper for 3/36k?

It's by far not the best satnav $ can buy, but it's not the worst...

I also see a lot of the 20" LTZ wheels on the LTs... if you like them...
Old October 27th, 2010, 7:20 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

AMGfan: Welcome to the forum.

Agree w/ STS input. Also there will be some headaches involved w/ the installation of any aftermarket system due to all of the functions that are integrated w/ the radio and computer. Just installing the OEM Nav unit is not w/o problems.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome...I was at the Chevrolet dealership tonite to look at the LS and LT. I love the size of these beasts.

What kind of computer issues are their with aftermarket head units...I was planning on getting a PAC module to retain steering wheel controls.

The white LT was really nice with the captain chairs and leather...they were asking $45k but I have seen them via Internet prices around $42k...
Old October 28th, 2010, 8:08 AM
CF Addict

Default new?

tell them you'll do the $45 with full factory sat nav.

GM runs the audio for turn signals / chimes / etc through the car speakers...

just have the dealer install the sat-nav before you pick it up... or at least go play with one on the lot that has it...

I wanted a Z71 at first but none had the sat-nav, so I got a LTZ... now I LOVE the auto ride, and the A/C seats and the power lift gate...

if your gonna go big.. go BIG.

I got my LTZ at supplier pricing... everything (everything) even BLIS and brake controller for $53 out the door... $48,800 I think was the price + tax, title, whatever and $950 extended warrenty...

Make sure the dealer gives you NAV DVD 6.0c, thats the 2011 version, and it's better than the 2010 version.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
CF Junior Member

My wife is a heavy duty Ipod user. With the available USB port in the LT (at least the one I was in) do you just plug in your USB and it plays through the OEM stereo?

How about Ipod video? I know it probably does not have VIM (Vehicle in Motion - I do now with all my vehicles) capabilities but can you connect via USB and see video/audio while the Suburban is sitting in Park? Which I tend to find myself doing a lot when I get dragged to the mall by my wife.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
CF Addict

Default ipod

your best bet is to check the GM web site, or take an ipod to the dealer and play w/it...

if your into a head unit with some kick ***, check out the MyFord Touch... the new Edge gets it this year, and hopefully the Expedition does in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLdMi_r7-Q

Audio, video, Nav, climate, lighting, fuel prices, stocks, weather.

I don't even know of anything aftermarker that's this slick...

you get dual 4" screens on the dash pod AND a 8" on the center stack!

This system makes the GM one looks like an etch-a-sketch...
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
your best bet is to check the GM web site, or take an ipod to the dealer and play w/it...

if your into a head unit with some kick ***, check out the MyFord Touch... the new Edge gets it this year, and hopefully the Expedition does in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrLdMi_r7-Q

Audio, video, Nav, climate, lighting, fuel prices, stocks, weather.

I don't even know of anything aftermarker that's this slick...

you get dual 4" screens on the dash pod AND a 8" on the center stack!

This system makes the GM one looks like an etch-a-sketch...
Brother...I hear you...Ford is doing great things in the audio/visual side in their vehicles. I looked at the Expedition and I just like the looks of the Suburban better. The side and rear profile just seems unattractive to me for some reason.

Well, I'm going to make a trip to the dealership again tonight and bring my Ipad and Ipod and see what it can do. On the actual buying side, looks like I'm leaning to the LT...the leather interior vs cloth just makes sitting in the Sub much nicer. I didn't think it would make a difference to me but I guess it does...also I like the captain chairs for the second row passengers in the LT.
Old October 28th, 2010, 4:12 PM
CF Active Member

Have 08 LT loaded out and its a perfect fit for my needs.
Had 8 Jeeps prior to this from a Wrangler to a GC Overland. The sub is the Cats ****.

Mind you not as good offroad, but it will hit the beach and hold its own within reason.
Got mine in Aug 08 when gas was stupid and got a good deal imn the low $40K's.

It came with the facotry 20's and I switched to 17's. Much better ride and high sidewall. Just put skid plates on too.
Old October 30th, 2010, 6:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Nailed down a white 2011 LT...signing contract Tuesday and hopefully will pick it up on Wednesday morning. I'll post pics and start a thread on the build (i.e. modifications done on the Brute - my pet name for the Sub). Thanks for all the responses.

J