Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Puking out coolant

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2014, 4:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puking out coolant

Hi guys,
1999 GMC Suburban 5.7L C1500 with 210k miles.
Noticed my temp rising steadily to just over 210 F before I stopped the truck. Looked back and had a long trail of antifreeze puked out. Had to drive her home so I filled her with 4 Gallons of water; 1.3 miles after all that water was gone (temp NEVER went over 210)

Looks like it is coming from behind the AC. are these the symptoms of a headgasket? No fluid in the oil or vice versa. It is really pouring out

She is shut down now at home until further notice.
What is the regular cost about? Also someone I know said it could be a drainbolt located in that area...
Old March 12th, 2014, 9:50 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
Hi guys,
1999 GMC Suburban 5.7L C1500 with 210k miles.
Noticed my temp rising steadily to just over 210 F before I stopped the truck. Looked back and had a long trail of antifreeze puked out. Had to drive her home so I filled her with 4 Gallons of water; 1.3 miles after all that water was gone (temp NEVER went over 210)

Looks like it is coming from behind the AC. are these the symptoms of a headgasket? No fluid in the oil or vice versa. It is really pouring out

She is shut down now at home until further notice.
What is the regular cost about? Also someone I know said it could be a drainbolt located in that area...
Once all the water is gone out of the block, the temperature sensor is no longer going to be accurate since it is only in contact with air.
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't know exactly where the leak is, but...
They make a little pump you can click on your Radiator Neck and pump the system up to pressure. If you can find one of those, at least you can have the engine off while you're looking around to find the leak.
Old March 14th, 2014, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies,
Guy is taking of the front engine tomorrow to say with certainty it is the head gasket. (nothing in oil)

You guys think it is worth getting a new one? Truck is in good condition (will need some front end suspension parts replaced) but has 210k on the clock.
He told me that if they put a new gasket on and resurface the heads etc the new compression might blow out the lower end....what are your opinions on that?
Old March 14th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how much they shave off of the heads. Just making them straight and not overdoing it shouldn't raise the compression that much.
Some guys here are approaching 300K miles and still running good.