Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

pulsation when breaking.

Old July 18th, 2018, 6:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pulsation when breaking.

My 01 Suburban 1500 has an issue when stepping on the brakes. It pulsates to a point that I can see my foot moving while on the brake pedal. The ABS light comes on when starting the engine, but turns off and stays off. My first guess was that it was a warped rotor, so I replaced the front ones along with the pads, but the pulsing continues. The rear brakes have 34,000 miles on them but look OK, but I will probably take them off next. But this guesswork is costly with no return so far. What else could it be?
Old July 18th, 2018, 9:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

What do you have; rear rotors or drums?
warped front rotors transmit primariliy thru the steering wheel and some thru the brake pedal
warped rear rotors transmit thru the brake pedal...Its possible to be something other than rear rotors but warped rotors are the most common cause. I've seen warped rotors and out of round drums right out of the box. 30 000 is plenty of time for runout to occur.
Old July 21st, 2018, 10:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, when you replaced the rotors, did you check or replace the caliper guides? Calipers are supposed to float as there is always a little bit of runout even on new rotors. Sticky or stuck guides can cause pulsation. You may be able to tell if it’s coming from front or rear by feel on steering wheel. It’s not likely a problem on front would be identical on both wheels and you may feel the steering wiggle with the pulsation when coming to stop if problem is on front.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 11:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
What do you have; rear rotors or drums?
warped front rotors transmit primariliy thru the steering wheel and some thru the brake pedal
warped rear rotors transmit thru the brake pedal...Its possible to be something other than rear rotors but warped rotors are the most common cause. I've seen warped rotors and out of round drums right out of the box. 30 000 is plenty of time for runout to occur.
I have rotors. I replaced the rears and the pulsating went away. I also replaced the rear dust plates while I was at it with two piece dust plates so that I wouldn't have to pull the axle. My intention was to also reinstall parking brakes that were removed previously but whoever did the work snapped off a small bolt that holds the parking brake shoe guide in place. To get that broken bolt out would require that axle to be removed. I live in Illinois, and the parking brake shoes are back at the parts store.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 9:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

can you not just unbolt mount without axle removal? I tack welded the bracket in place and was going to repair it later. the tack weld held up so I never replaced or extracted the broken bolt.

Search this Thread