Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Q: iPhone integration '05

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2010, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q: iPhone integration '05

I recently purchased my very first Chevrolet for my wife which is a '05 Suburban 2WD 1500 Z71.

She has asked me to find/figure out how she can integrate her iPhone 3G into the radio system. We have one of those doodads with a radio tuner that you plug into the cigarette lighter and tune the radio to the right frequency, but quality is shoddy. Both her and I would prefer something more permanent and direct connection to the OEM radio system.

I'm trying to do diligence and Google searched and found that USA SPEC PA11GM kit along with an additional cas-vette wiring, this could be done. And past mistakes, headaches, and experience has taught me is to see what owners think and see if any advice can be offered. So I joined this fine owner's group to do just that.

I searched the forums for this part, but the search came up empty. I doubt I'm the only owner wanting to integrate their iPhone into the radio system, so I start to think maybe this kit is not the best option and I'm not searching on the proper key word.

So I'm openly looking for advice on how to integrate the iPhone with the '05 burb. Anything from a pigtail setup to a more sleek docking solution is fine by me.
Old July 21st, 2010, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck on your install.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 7:18 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yea

what about a new head unit with bluetooth built in?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SabrToothSqrl, I haven't looked at new heads yet. I was hoping to keep the OEM. As for blutetooth, I have read that if the iPhone is bluetooth engaged, then when a call is incoming the phone behaves just like it would when in your hand. It stops play and you answer with your bluetooth device. If bluetooth is not engaged, the the phone rings through the speakers and you hear the people in the speakers. But the MIC pickup is through the iPhone directly. This is what the iPhone does by default in the hand. So reception on the caller's end may or may not be good depending on where the phone is and how loud the road conditions are. I do not know if the AutoLeveling feature on the radio functions with this. I haven't read anyone mentioning this yet. I have been doing lots and lots of reading.

I'm glad I have a few month's before the wife's b-day for this. I found another solution from Pac-Audio. It's called the iSimple PXAMG. It offers two main features the US SPEC has not offered. 1) The ability to plug in a tandem HD radio tuner. Where as the US SPEC only offers two component jacks. 2) The ability to upgrade the unit's firmware. Something I found possibly useful as Apple updates/upgrades the iPhone OS and firmware, then older 3rd party component equipment might not be compatible. Not all upgrades and updates mandate backwards compatibility. So it's a nice feature, if anything a false sense of security if something changes all I have to do is upgrade the firmware on the device.

More reading and searching.

Any advice is still appreciated.