Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Questions from a new owner

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2022, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a new owner

Hi all,

last friday i purchased a 2003 suburban z71. overall its in good shape. I has a small oil and trans leak, and one of the front rotors is warped. I had it inspected by a local shop yesterday and aside from the leak and the brakes it received a clean bill of health.

There are a few things that while probably not "This has to be fixed" issues, are things i want to deal with. I have a few hundred dollars left over out of the budget i had to buy it and figure i might as well handle them now before the newness wears off.

1. There is a kind of rattle in the steering, i can feel it in the wheel more than hear it. Ive been told the idler arm on these trucks go bad. Id really like to fix whatever is causing this.

2. Mirror selector switch: The mirror selector switch doesnt want to switch between mirrors without a lot of prodding.I was thinking of pulling the switch off and soaking it in some alcohol. any other suggestions?

3. More of a question than an issue, is there anything special in terms of brake parts i would buy since this is a z71?
Old February 14th, 2022, 8:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Use specific electronics contact cleaner on the switch. Do not soak it in alcohol.
Nothing special about a Z71, just use the listed name brand replacement brake parts on it.
Don't assume on front end parts. Every joint needs to be inspected for wear or binding. Power steering fluid may need a suck out and refill also. Use the correct stuff, GM not the universal leak stopper junk at the parts store.
Old February 14th, 2022, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by repairman54
Use specific electronics contact cleaner on the switch. Do not soak it in alcohol.
Nothing special about a Z71, just use the listed name brand replacement brake parts on it.
Don't assume on front end parts. Every joint needs to be inspected for wear or binding. Power steering fluid may need a suck out and refill also. Use the correct stuff, GM not the universal leak stopper junk at the parts store.
Thanks for the info! I had a shop inspect the tierods, ball joints etc. They said everything felt tight. When I pull it apart for the brakes, ill check out all the bushings and etc.

I am planning to to an oil change and trans fluid swap. Im a fan of liquimolly, and im thinking of using their engine and trans fluids.I know for the Transfer case i have to use the GM brand fluids, Thanks for the heads up on the power steering fluid.
Old February 14th, 2022, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Another question,

I want to replace the struts, but im not sure if i have the autoride. Whats the easiest way to tell (if they even came on the z71)
Old February 15th, 2022, 8:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 04lss
Another question,

I want to replace the struts, but im not sure if i have the autoride. Whats the easiest way to tell (if they even came on the z71)
Struts and shocks have a electrical connector that wiring plugs into the shock. My Tahoe as it and also auto leveling which is electronic shocks on the rear that are air shocks also.