Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

R we being screwed by Transmission shop ? Help Advice needed !

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2010, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy R we being screwed by Transmission shop ? Help Advice needed !

I am the wife asking these questions. I am highly upset. Paid $1900 for newly built transmisson on 97 Suburaban 4x4 (would not go into reverse , 146,ooo miles), then 8 days after this overhaul, something starts racing, won't go into park, nor forward, nor reverse, hear a bang, also loud clicking in Park, it was DEAD. --just 181 miles & 8 days later .

Had towed to Tranny shop, refused paying for tow, then says it is NOT the tranny but the Transfer Case, he never said WHY this happened, just is a coincidence. Now wants another $500 for junk yard Transfer case plus labor or if rebuilt -he could not even give us a price. Somethng is NOT right. We NEVER had any problems with this , to have this damaged this suddenly with such FORCE- so close after rebuild ???????

A couple mechanics said IF they FORGOT to fill the fluids in the Transfer case after reassembling them, as this can leak out when set aside to rebuilt the tranny, this would be the result, even a NEW transfer case would be destroyed.

I believe they do not want to absorb the cost of their own blunder & want us to PAY, basically lying to why this happened.

Mechanics out there, I want to hear what you think ? Could this truly be JUST a coincidence or NO way??

Thank you so much for your replies! <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->
Old July 13th, 2010, 7:00 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The transfer case on these trucks have a know problem where some clip breaks and the shaft comes out. If that is the problem it is a simple fix. It may not be there fault.
Old July 13th, 2010, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

So IF the fluids drained , and it was not checked /filled, would this have happened also? You give 1 example, but is my example NOT true? I understand I can not prove anything (or can I -if taken to another Mechanic who opens the plug & sees it is dry as a bone, burning smelling?), but beings it was just repaired and they were handling it- with these clips you mention & the responsibility to re-fill these fluids, anyone would feel they did something terribly wrong.

It would be SO pathetically EASY to fool the unsuspecting customer that "it just happened- wear & tear Maam". It is the "time frame" that speaks here. Should this not be looked into -but just trusted?

You say this is a "Simple fix", can you explain further. For example, if this clip is the only problem -fine, open it up & replace clip- all else should be undisturbed ? Cost low. This Shop had NO interest in showing me what was in my Transfer case , they just jumped at it needing replaced with a Junk Yard model or rebuilding new, this determination was made within half hour of vehicle reaching property by tow - BEFORE anything was opened. Is this not Suspicious? Cost given was $600 plus for something from Junk yard labor, or could not even answer if rebuilt. Their was NO offer of a simple fix, they obviouly KNOW it is BAD, not simple fix.

BUT what if you open it up and it is clearly damaged gears , does this now point to NOT the clip, but the lack of lubrication? Or does the clip coming off cause damaged gears -needing a total rebuild of a Transfer case. ???

Last edited by overrunwithsons; July 13th, 2010 at 8:06 AM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My under standing is the case does not have to be disassembled only removed from the truck. However I have never done it. You may want to call the dealer. Also there is NO reason to drain the transfer case when replacing the trans. I have done many 4wd transmissions in many different makes/models and have never drained the transfer case.
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it is possible tho if the transfer case was set aside and left in the wrong position that the fluid could have leaked out. it can leak out the rear, even by just pulling the rear driveline. and if not refilled, then yes, damage will occur. now, i'm not saying this happened or didn't, but it is a possibility. it sounds tho as this particular shop may be questionable, as in my opinion and experience, a good shop will check the fluids right away before quoting replacement costs. i have had coincidental instances happen, so it's possible, but i also think this shop could have done some simple checking of fluid levels at very least.
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, big update for you all. This transmission shop told us it was the transfer case, claimed they did a Diagnostic , even charged us $60 for that, we felt that had ***** -when we just paid them $1900 10 days before with a 1 yr warrenty. See, We did NOT believe them- they wanted to charge us anwhere from $500 & up for junk yard Transfer case, so we had it towed to another Tranny shop, an older man, but known for his honorability. He calls the next day, it was NOT the transfer case at all, but this : " Output shaft on the Transmission - snap ring came off of front planetary gears & shaft come out and went into Transfer case towards Rear . Transfer case is GOOD. nothing wrong with it."

He told me to call the orginal Shop , tell them this and allow them to opportunity to make it right - since I had the warrenty with them. So I did this, and oh MY, what a change in attitude! The Owner was as sweet as pie, knowing I meant business and I had demands that needed to be met -if this was going back to him to fix, warrenty or no warrenty, my trust has been LOST. I was getting ready to do a real case against his service in more places than he realized (Credit dispute, BBB, small claims court, reviews on the net, etc).

He needed to refund the bogus $60 diagnosis he charged us, he needed to pay for the towing I had to 2nd shop, He needed to pay for what THIS shop was charging me -for the real diagnosis $200. And get it towed back to his shop . He was VERY willing to do all of the above.

So now, do you think they intentionally was trying to screw me and I caught them red handed ? Of coarse he tried telling me how RARE this is, and I believe that, but the Diagnosis they performed was simply BOGUS.

Unreal.
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:11 PM
CF Active Member

It is hard to say if they just did not know what they where doing or where trying to scam you. I know that after a trans rebuild there is the chance somthing in the rebuild will brake or come out of place and this will happen most of the time in the first few hundered miles. The shop sounds kinda shady or not that great of people , Glad you are getting things taken care of and fixed.
Old July 14th, 2010, 1:40 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

BTW 1900 for a rebuild of tranny for a 97 Suburban is a pretty common price range, and probably even a couple hundred lower then what some shops would charge.
The shop should have taken a more through look and interest into the root cause and not so hastily pointed fingers at the transfer case.
That is probably less scamming and more complacency on their part...
Old July 14th, 2010, 1:44 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

and kudos to the shop manager for refunding all the expenses, that is a sign of some integrity....
When you find a shop that you feel comfortable with and feel you are getting a fair deal with tell others and post the info, as well as do what you did here and tell someone so other are informed...
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Sounds like you found a good mechanic in the second one. Might start using him in the future.

Quick Reply: R we being screwed by Transmission shop ? Help Advice needed !