Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Radio issue

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2010, 4:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio issue

I have a 2004 radio (cd,cassete,bose) its linked to my vehicle via the VIN# so unloc isnt applicable.
My Radios lights were gone so I ordered the replacement bulbs and soldered on all except the Volume and Tuner (the space is limited so I held off).
I installed the radio and everything worked perfect.I decided to go ahead & replace the Volume & Tuner button lights to complete
the mission.Bad idea.I tried to solder the lights onto the circuit board through the button itself instead of from behind
which in hindsight would have been much easier.Impatience does'nt pay off.
I went ahead & installed the Radio again but this time smoke bellowed from the unit!
I quickly unplugged it & stewed in my dissapointment knowing I possibly created some serious damage.
I took the radio back inside the house & dissasembled it to check the damage & sure enough one of the 3 plugs that attach the faceplate to the main radio unit was burned and a section on the
faceplate circuit board had a copper band broken.I soldered back the band and removed the lights from the vol/tuner locations.
I must of soldered the two points together resulting in the mishap.I plugged the radio back in and it powered on with the clock and because it already'had a disc in it ,that started to immediately play.The
selctor buttons are non-responsive nor are any other on the unit just the power on.
I figured I fried the faceplate circuit board so I ordered another.
Guess what?Same issue!I put the brand new faceplate on ,plugged it in & same thing!Powers on and plays the inserted disc.
I again took the radio apart (just the top & bottom plates for accesability) and to manually remove the disc.That was easy.
Again I put the radio in the truck but because the disc is out now the radio plays but no reponse from any buttons just the power.
There is sound, but trying to turn up or down volume dont work,
selector,tuner.Nothing!
Additionally,with the vehicle off/key out the blinking red light displays but the clock is flashing as well.
I checked every part of the radio to identify burnt surfaces or any other visual indications of a blown capacitor or what have you.I checked the underhood
fuses & they check out fine.
Is this a case of reprogram or another radio?
Old March 11th, 2010, 8:01 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wow

props for even trying that!

Hit up ebay or a junk yard. or go after market for even better sound or a GPS...
Old March 11th, 2010, 7:31 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you pooched the radio
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Professional Mechanic

damn...seems like you have a basic understanding with the circuits. If you really want to salvage the stereo, use a multimeter to check if you have any bad resistors, or if you bridge the connection between the power and a transistor resulting in failure of the transistor. Can take all day though...I hate working on a board for three hours only to find out that one of the many resistors are off by a lousy color...dyslexia still occurs with color arrangements
Old March 12th, 2010, 5:02 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The glass is neither half empty, nor half full, it is half of its total quantity.

Or as an engineer would say, "the glass is obviously too big".
Old March 12th, 2010, 6:42 PM
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by 73shark
The glass is neither half empty, nor half full, it is half of its total quantity.

Or as an engineer would say, "the glass is obviously too big".
Maybe I should start saying that soon then...studying mechanical engineering