Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rainsense TSB

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2008, 9:31 AM
davemec

Default Rainsense TSB

Does anyone know if there are any TSBs out for the Rainsense system? At times mine doesn't activate the wipers even though I have them on the highest sensitivity setting and the windshield is covered with rain. Then other times they seem to function just fine. Thought maybe there might be a software update from GM.
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rainsense TSB

I have had the same problem....i usually just turn them off then back on, and it seems to fix the problem.
Old February 13th, 2008, 3:40 PM
davemec

That usually helps me too, but I was hoping GM might have a software update to fix this issue.
Old February 13th, 2008, 8:45 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Not sure what GM did to make it a RainSense II but it doesn't seem to work as well as mine '02 TrailBlazer. Dealer said working as designed. []
Old February 13th, 2008, 9:00 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The on;y bulletin out there is telling the techs that the sensor is separate from the lens on the windshield. Although there is a little tid bit of info that might help you......

If you do NOT find a fault in the system operation, please refer customers to Rainsense™ II Wipers in the Owner Manual for information for this system.[align=left]

If you do confirm a fault in the system operation, inspect the uniformity of the silicon gel linking the sensor to the windshield.[/align][align=left]

If the silicon gel is distorted in any way or is not present at all, replace the lens only. Refer to Windshield Outside Moisture Sensor Lens Replacement in SI.[/align][align=left]

If the gel is intact, replace the complete sensor assembly by referring to windshield outside moisture sensor replacement listed below.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align][align=left]If you can see that the gel is distorted, it might give you some ammo when going into the dealer to get them to do something for you[/align]
Old February 14th, 2008, 7:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Yeah, same here. It defeats the purpose of having RainSense if you have to manlualy turn them on when it rains.

There made to word so your hands are on the wheel at all times and there not working right if you have to take one hand off the wheel to activate them.
Old February 14th, 2008, 9:37 AM
davemec

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at the gel to see if anything looks funny.
Old April 1st, 2008, 2:04 PM
davemec

I had my Tahoe in today to have this looked at, and of course they say that everything is working fine and that the gel looks good too. They have a printout for me explaining that the variable levels of the rainsense controller makes it vary in the amount it runs. I'm glad the morons have this, cause I would have never been able to figure out that on my own even though I stated to them this morning when I dropped it off that I am using the highest variable setting and still it does not activate enough. I guess GM thinks that the people who buy their vehicles aren't smart enough to understand what variable wipers means.
Old April 21st, 2008, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

how do u activate the rainsense? and how do you adjust it?
Old April 21st, 2008, 9:48 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Just turn the **** from off to any of the delay positions and it is activated. The more you turn towards the low speed, the more sensitive it becomes. The next position is low speed then high speed. Turn the **** backwards from off and you can do one or more sweeps as it goes back to off when you let go. The Owner's Manual explains this.

Quick Reply: Rainsense TSB