Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Raise rear to fill transfer?

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2011, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Raise rear to fill transfer?

2002 Suburban, changed transfer with Auto Trac II, manual calls for two quarts, I measured what I drained and it was right at 2 quarts, when I filled it with vehicle level it started running out of fill whole at about 1.75 quarts.
Wondering if I should raise the rear and put the last 8 ounces in or leave it as is?

Thanks,
Don
Old July 31st, 2011, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

I've never heard of "raising the rear" of a vehicle to get all of the fluid in. Usually I just fill it until it tops out, then put the plug in and call it good. Maybe it was "overfilled" the first time?

If you put 1.75 quarts in, you should only have 4 ounces to get to 2-quarts, not 8-ounces.

One more thing... Could your rear springs be sagging? That could cause your fill amounts to be different, but not by much.
Old July 31st, 2011, 4:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You might put in 4wd, drive it around the block, then see if it will handle the last part of quart.
Old July 31st, 2011, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

32/4 = 8
.25 quart =8oz

Good call on driving a few miles and then topping off, found the same thing on another source. Going to try it in a few minutes. Vehicle was level on stands when I changed it.

Thanks,
Don
Old July 31st, 2011, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Drove around about 15 minutes, shifted in and out of all transfer ranges a couple of times each, pulled the fill plug it didn't run out. Pumped a little in and it started to run out right away, gave it a couple of good full hard pumps and put the plug back. Had 8 ounces left of the 2 quarts, now down to 4, probably put 2 in the case and 2 on the paper I had under it.

Was reading on other boards that it is common to use 5w30 synthetic motor oil and fill with 3 quarts through the speed sensor on top. Maybe somebody filled it that way previously and that is how I got two quarts out when I drained it. It did seem over filled, because I removed the fill plug first, to make sure it would come out with no problem before I had an empty case, and it came out pretty fast as soon as I got the plug out.

At least now I know it is topped off.