Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

rear brakes hot

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2017, 9:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, I agree with Frank3 that the rears should not be working so hard. Definitely check the front calipers to see if they slide in and out freely. When a caliper sticks, the inner pad is worn much more than the outer pad because the piston pushes on the inside pad whether the caliper sticks or not.
Old September 19th, 2017, 12:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tahoe64gg
Yes, I have the trailer tow package, but my travel trailer E-brakes have a error message of wiring fault on trailer. I stay on the flat lands when pulling. I do need to fix my TT E brakes.
Thanks,
Terry
So you're pulling a trailer equipped with electric brakes, but they are not being used and you're wondering why your truck's brakes are overheating? smh
Old September 20th, 2017, 5:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Sub
Also, I agree with Frank3 that the rears should not be working so hard. Definitely check the front calipers to see if they slide in and out freely. When a caliper sticks, the inner pad is worn much more than the outer pad because the piston pushes on the inside pad whether the caliper sticks or not.
Thanks for the information. I will check.
Old September 20th, 2017, 5:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the information. I will try the method you are referring too.
Old September 21st, 2017, 4:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Important to note that the rotors are designed to get pretty warm.. 4000# is about all I'd be comfortable pulling with the 1500.
Are they too hot to touch hot, or just very warm?
Old September 22nd, 2017, 9:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if the rear calipers were seized or dragging; you would be smelling burnt pad, and the rim would be to hot to touch.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 6:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 02Sub
What happens is that rust forms under the thin metal snap-in shims that the brake pad ears ride in. The rust squeezes the shims and the ears get hung up. I cleaned out the rust with a wire brush and also ground off a little material from the edges of the brake pad ears so the would slide in and out easily by hand.

Steve
Thanks for the advise.
Terry
Old September 23rd, 2017, 6:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes, rear brakes did smell and they were to hot to touch.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 6:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Matt B
Important to note that the rotors are designed to get pretty warm.. 4000# is about all I'd be comfortable pulling with the 1500.
Are they too hot to touch hot, or just very warm?
Yes, they were to hot to touch.
Old September 25th, 2017, 5:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Could be Sticky bracket where the pad sits in the clip on the Mounting bracket, sticky piston in the caliper, sticky slide pins on the caliper.
Clean up the bracket and reinstall the clip, check for free-floatyness of the pads. Checkout pad life.

I don't know what shape your rigs in. My 07 came from our Canadian brothers up North and was quite rusty from they day I got a screamin' deal on her.
If yours is anything like mine was it might be easiest to jump ahead and replace those cracked brake hoses and trade out for some re-manufactured calipers. Guy could even do all four if he wanted to get carried away...

Last edited by Matt B; September 25th, 2017 at 5:47 PM. Reason: I thought of something...