Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear brakes locking up,

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2014, 9:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question from a guy with barely more money than time or talent: Why not just replace both of the calipers with units from a bone yard, or better, new replacements? Is there an advantage to going your route other than cost and the pride of doing it yourself?
Old January 6th, 2014, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TWard, I think to answer your question,it is probably all of the above. Sure I could have just replaced the rear calipers with a new set but then I would have been scratching my head and wondering, what the heck was causing my rears to bind in the first place. To make a short story long, I ordered new pistons. Come to find out they were in my opinion to small as they would just fall into the caliper bore. I never had a caliper pistions that that loose ever in all of my past rebuilds, forign and domestic cars and trucks. I had them check and recheck the part numbers. I went to the dealer and talked to the service manager and mechanics, they don't rebuild anything due to the time and labor involved, new parts are the norm. I didn't learn a darn thing from them!
It has been 2k miles since "my fix" and there are no signs of leaks, no rear binding, the brake peddle is firm and it stops stright without any pull. It might just outlast me!!!
Old June 2nd, 2014, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Angry

Seven months later... Well I guess my fix did not last after all! Last night after a short cruse, I could smell something when I parked the Burb. Put my hand on the left rear wheel and the hub was overheated. I knew right away that one or both pistons in the caliper was in a bind. Put it on the lift and the left wheel was tight. Enough is enough, pulled both rear calipers to replace them with new ones. I hope this is "end of story".
Old June 2nd, 2014, 7:47 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the follow up!
Old June 2nd, 2014, 9:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

from a learning viewpoint; sometimes is good to tear it all down.

Professionals don't rebuild for all the reasons you mentioned. They can't guaranty the repaired calipers won't leak...and then they have to fix it for free when it comes back.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 5:50 AM
CF Beginner

This makes one wonder if the remanufactured parts will do the same thing. I looked at several remans from different parts stores and you could tell that the pistons were not new. They must clean them and put in new O-rings and seals. If the phenolic resin pistons are swelling over time and use, then another failure is likely to happen. Several had severe pitting where the copper washer sealing surface at the brake hose attaching point boss is located. I don't know who rebuilds these calipers but their workmanship and quality control leaves something to be desired.
Sometimes I think that I expect more out of a product than it can deliver. I can't gripe about the original calipers, they lasted 11 years and over 100K. miles. One should be so lucky.
Old June 4th, 2014, 6:22 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by scoutski
Sometimes I think that I expect more out of a product than it can deliver. I can't gripe about the original calipers, they lasted 11 years and over 100K. miles. One should be so lucky.
This is why you will often see many recommendations to use the OEM parts, yes they cost more but that is often for a reason, you get what you pay for....
if you are going to sell it or its easy enough to get to and fix, use cheaper parts... if you want it to last as long as the original go with what the manufacture used....a fuel pump is a good example...
Old September 30th, 2023, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
This is why you will often see many recommendations to use the OEM parts, yes they cost more but that is often for a reason, you get what you pay for....
if you are going to sell it or its easy enough to get to and fix, use cheaper parts... if you want it to last as long as the original go with what the manufacture used....a fuel pump is a good example...
Sorry to reply on an old thread. OEM will use the best, but parts aren't made to last as long as they did before. Reman and off brand can be just as good. It is no one's fault. Our society has come to expect luxury and convenience over quality.

Brakes are an example. They use different materials than decades ago. Why? Noise. So they are quieter but don't last as long.
Old October 2nd, 2023, 8:21 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Flytoyz
Our society has come to expect luxury and convenience over quality.

Brakes are an example. They use different materials than decades ago. Why? Noise. So they are quieter but don't last as long.
Noise and safety, like banning asbestos.