Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Headrest DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2007, 11:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Headrest DVD Player

[/quote]

No, they are standalone, (unless you want to tear apart the controller box and hardwire audio/video - I did it (hardwire to my NAV), but unless you know what you are doing you'll probably end up ruining the controller unit) Audio is either through IR headphones or FM modulator through your radio. But if you already have a ceiling monitor why would you want headrest dvds as well?
[/quote]

Not if you tell us your secrets.. Spill the beans already!!!!
Old March 7th, 2007, 3:17 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: Biggmon

DEI, you will need to take off the seat backs, take the pieces off the back of the center console, unsnap and take out the top of the center console (where the cup holders snap into), you will then run the wiring harness to the junction box (whatever its called) under the dash, thats where the power comes from. It plugs right in. Then you are correct everything plugs into a black junction box that you mount inside the center console.
I hope this helps and is not confusing.

ORIGINAL: DEI

I got this set up. I paid $1100.00 for the set on ebay. It was pretty easy to install also. Everything just plugs in. Follow the directions. You can play two movies at once or watch one movie on both sets at the same time.
I think my kids used it once, but we love the things.
Biggmon...Could you tell me whatI might have to take apart to install these (seat backs, center counsel??). I would assume both displays must plug into some sort of "black box", but where do they draw the power from and do they hook into the factory stereo also? Thanks for any info!
Where exactly is this "junction box" that everything plugs into? I guess I am not sure why you would need anything more than a 12 volt lead and ground for the units to work? Or is it because the 2 units need to be connected together? If it doesnt tie into the existing DVD system, why the extra wiring?
Old March 7th, 2007, 4:24 PM
CF Active Member

Kbute3,
Basically thats all it is. Its a 12 volt lead and ground that plugs into the fuse box. Under the dash.

Where exactly is this "junction box" that everything plugs into? I guess I am not sure why you would need anything more than a 12 volt lead and ground for the units to work? Or is it because the 2 units need to be connected together? If it doesnt tie into the existing DVD system, why the extra wiring?
Old March 7th, 2007, 4:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See below pic.

The control box handles power distribution and A>B & B>A video switching and FM modulation. It is not simply a +12V distribution point. "Hacking" into it to enable an external video feed is not trivial as essentially what you have to do is to cut traces on the PC board and splice in a new external video feed from another source. This way when you do mode select on the DVD units instead of the external feed being from either the A or B unit, you can use a different source so you could display the same program on more video screens than just the two headrest units. You give up the ability to then "cross connect" the headrest DVD's. This is something that only an electronics tech or engineer should attempt as you will have to trace video & audio signals with an ocilloscope in the control box. This is a "bench" mod, not something to be "done on the vehicle".

[IMG]local://upfiles/4713/5B490A2A55DD4A849F77610745171E43.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 7th, 2007, 4:59 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Kbute3,
Basically thats all it is. Its a 12 volt lead and ground that plugs into the fuse box. Under the dash.

Biggmon, I don't mean to beat this to death but the wifes gone with the Tahoe for the day so I can't run out and look at it! I finally have one in hand and the instructions are pretty general. If I understand right you took out the cup holder section to access the fuse box? And to play it through the stereo speakers you would use the FM Antenna to pick up a signal, right? And the control box that comes with it that all the wiring plugs into is stored under the center counsole somewhere....Just trying to figureit all out before I take apart more than needed.
Old March 7th, 2007, 5:04 PM
CF Active Member

The unit plugs into the junction box to the left of the brake pedal (+12V power source). The control box mounts under the cupholder tray.
Old March 7th, 2007, 5:06 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: konasmrz

The unit plugs into the junction box to the left of the brake pedal (+12V power source). The control box mounts under the cupholder tray.
Thank You!
Old March 7th, 2007, 9:09 PM
CF Active Member

DEI, I think you got your answer. Konasmrz got it dead on. He confused me a little with his previous post. I need someone like him to come work on all my electrical stuff. He sounds like he knows what he is doing.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: kcw002
No, they are standalone, (unless you want to tear apart the controller box and hardwire audio/video - I did it (hardwire to my NAV), but unless you know what you are doing you'll probably end up ruining the controller unit) Audio is either through IR headphones or FM modulator through your radio. But if you already have a ceiling monitor why would you want headrest dvds as well?
[/quote]

Not if you tell us your secrets.. Spill the beans already!!!!
[/quote]

So does that mean you can not listen to the music in the back with the wireless headphones? This system is totally independent from the Nav system and audio for the back passengers? It would be nice if it was all integrated. If that is not the case, then my only options are to go aftermarket or get the drop down DVD screen?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 17th, 2007, 4:14 PM
DEI
CF Junior Member

They are not wired to the factory system at all. If you want music they will play CD's, mp3's , etc. They also have inputs on the front if you want to hook up a device to them for music or video. But no, they don't work with the factory Nav System or Radio as they are. (without mods I wouldn't try)

Quick Reply: Rear Headrest DVD Player