Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear heater for 86 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2008, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear heater for 86 Suburban

Hello all! I recently picked up an 86 Suburban. In pretty good shape, but it needs a few things here and there. Most of the stuff is easy to find, but I am having a heck of a time finding a rear heater for it. The whole unit that sits in the back on the floor by the tailgate.

It doesn't seem to work at all, Im going to try running power directly into it, but I havn't had time yet.

I was wondering if any of you knew of any good websites for getting parts for these things. I figure if im driving it around, paying for all the gas I want everything to work good, lol. (I'm not complaining, I love driving it around, and I don't drive to far everyday)

Another quick question while I have your attention (I hope I do). The heat up front works great... But the roof mounted unit in the back doesn't put out heat. Is it supposed to? Im not quite sure how the rear heat works. Does the unit I mentioned earlier supply the heat to the roof? I didnt see any vents to or from.

Any help to any of these questions would be wonderful

P.s. Its a halfton with the carburated 350, silverado package if that makes a difference for anything

Old February 25th, 2008, 8:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear heater for 86 Suburban

On my 81 and 95 3/4 ton 4X4's the rear heater is located just behind the right rear wheel (inside of course) and if you look from under you should see two heater lines running up through the floor and into the heater core (Just like the front). The unit in the ceiling is your rear A/C and will provide cooling to the ceiling vents. Oh and the rear heater does not use the ceiling vents.