Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

rear liftgate won't unlock

Old May 12th, 2008, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear liftgate won't unlock

2006 suburban.....can only open the rear with a key fob..no key spot....it stopped working...trying three different fobs, it does not open, all other doors open and lock..
is there some fuse just for the rear hopefully? or what should i try??....thank you for your help..
rick
Old May 12th, 2008, 6:18 PM
a4d
CF Beginner

Default RE: rear liftgate won't unlock

I would think all of the door lock fuses are one, but it might be seperate. If not the solenoid for the rear hatch could be shot. Or not grounding properly.
Old May 12th, 2008, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

where would i find the solenoid for the rear hatch??
thank you for your help
Old May 12th, 2008, 7:26 PM
a4d
CF Beginner

I'm guessing in the door it self, right where the lock attaches on the inside. Wich wouldn't really help unless you could get it open, but if you can get it open it's probably in the panel. Not sure. Someone may chime in and tell ya for sure.
Old May 12th, 2008, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

anyone know?? or know how to get it open...from the inside of the vehicle without having it open in any way??
thanks for the help so far.....

Old July 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

My 2005 Suburban developed this problem this week. That is how I found this forum, trying to find out if anyone else had this problem. Well, here is the answer for you.
Yes, you can open the door with it closed and locked. Youhave to crawl over the rear seat to the cargo area and remove the upper and lower trim panel to gain access to the mechanism. Manually work the linkage and open the door.
Carefully pry the upper trimpanel off first. There are two black push-pins that are at the lower center edge. These are hard to remove with the glass shut, so they broke on me.That's alright as you can obtain new ones (PN 15120856). Thencarefully pry the lower trim panel until all the clips release. Do this with your fingers. No tools are necessary. The lower panel has a molded "hook" on the backside. After the clips are released, slide the panel toward the roof until the hook is clear of the liftgate panel slots. Work the mechanism manually to open the liftgate. You can activate your key fob remote to see if itis sending a signal to the solenoid on the latch mechanism. Mine was, but the solenoid was no longer strong enough to engage. The new latch with solenoidhas been ordered (PN 15808595). The procedureis described in the Haynes Manual. Only 3 bolts and 3 quick connections to the cables supplied with the latch. The cost for the latch mechanism was $224 at my dealership, but shop the internet. I ordered mine for $160. I see a couple on a popular online auction site today for $150.
Old December 25th, 2012, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rascalious
My 2005 Suburban developed this problem this week. That is how I found this forum, trying to find out if anyone else had this problem. Well, here is the answer for you.
Yes, you can open the door with it closed and locked. Youhave to crawl over the rear seat to the cargo area and remove the upper and lower trim panel to gain access to the mechanism. Manually work the linkage and open the door.
Carefully pry the upper trimpanel off first. There are two black push-pins that are at the lower center edge. These are hard to remove with the glass shut, so they broke on me.That's alright as you can obtain new ones (PN 15120856). Thencarefully pry the lower trim panel until all the clips release. Do this with your fingers. No tools are necessary. The lower panel has a molded "hook" on the backside. After the clips are released, slide the panel toward the roof until the hook is clear of the liftgate panel slots. Work the mechanism manually to open the liftgate. You can activate your key fob remote to see if itis sending a signal to the solenoid on the latch mechanism. Mine was, but the solenoid was no longer strong enough to engage. The new latch with solenoidhas been ordered (PN 15808595). The procedureis described in the Haynes Manual. Only 3 bolts and 3 quick connections to the cables supplied with the latch. The cost for the latch mechanism was $224 at my dealership, but shop the internet. I ordered mine for $160. I see a couple on a popular online auction site today for $150.
Try changing the door locking setting on the steering wheel from "locking at speed" ; unlocking in park, etc to manual unlock.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:40 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2003 Suburban in great condition, 72000 miles on it, all mine. The liftgate just stopped working, in the locked position. The doors still open with the remote. I understand that this is a common problem with Suburban liftgates. I would be happy to have only a key opener, but the key lock at the bottom didn't work, either. What can I do? Why is there no manual switch inside? This seems like a dangerous problem in the event of an accident.
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2003 Suburban LT lift gate locked and closed. Won't unlock.

2003 Suburban LT lift gate locked and closed. Won't unlock. No way to manually unlock?? How do I get this thing open? Help please.
Old June 7th, 2015, 3:26 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know if its the same as the 2007 and up but give this a read
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...l-power-69087/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear liftgate won't unlock