Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

rear liftgate won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2015, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently the 2003 Suburban liftgate is not the same as the 2007. There is no "dimple" to cut open. However, a friend was able to crawl through the cargo area, remove the inside panel, and UNLOCK the liftgate. Now it is permanently unlocked, a real security problem, since it is parked in my driveway, accessible to anybody on the street. From what I can tell from the internet, this has been a frequent problem, but Chevy has chosen not to remedy the situation. From what I can tell, the fix from the dealer is very expensive. I would gladly have paid extra in the beginning to have a key lock on the liftgate, but the customer's convenience was not considered.

One thing I have discovered in dealing with this problem is that the rear passenger doors are also not responding to the remote control. They were UNLOCKED, and I didn't realize that they weren't locking. I can still lock and unlock them manually by reaching behind the front seat, which is a real pain, but at least i can do it. The front doors are functioning properly. My friend checked the fuse box (left side of the steering wheel console), and he thinks there is a RELAY problem. He could not get the fuse out, and he was afraid to force it. Does this make sense? Does anybody know anything about this?
Old January 16th, 2020, 8:41 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YouTube video showing how to open from inside

The following users liked this post:
keithive (June 19th, 2020)