Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear mat area question 2008 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2008, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear mat area question 2008 Tahoe

I bought the new Tahoe with the third row seats. I didn't want or need them, but I got them!! I took them out the first day home with the new Tahoe and wrapped them up and put them in the shed. Now I would like to find a way to make the cargo area "flat" as it would be IF I had bought a Tahoe without the third seat option.

Can the carpet and the "guides" for the third row seats be removed and replaced with new carpet designed for the one without third row seats? I really don't want a plastic or vinyl mat that fits over the seat runners. The floor is still unlevel! I'm going for a smooth floor area. The 3rd row seat guides make suitcases and other boxed cargo, to not set flat.

Anyway, have any of you done anything like this or have suggestions to help me get back to where I was in my 2005 Tahoe?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
LTZ
CF Beginner

Default RE: Rear mat area question 2008 Tahoe

i did the same w/my third row, i never use em. the found the best product, everyone in my family loves it. my brother in law immediately ordered one for his yukon. its the Weathertech cargo liner.

http://www.weathertech.com

you will not regret the buy, trust me. it's perfect in every way in my opinion. my wife had the back full of flowers the other day. i unloaded em and pulled out the Weathertech and hosed it down. make sure you order it with the third row, because it's a digital fit.
Old July 7th, 2008, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same gripe with my '07 LTZ. I'm a musician and had a problem loading my road case into the cargo area because it's wheels would get caught on the plastic runner and the cut outs where the mounting points are for the 3rd row seats.

My solution was to create a "false" floor that is raised up about 1" and conforms to the shape of the back area. This worked best for me for a couple of reasons: 1) My road case is about 200lbs fully loaded and a rubber cargo liner wouldn't be strong enough to support the weight of my equipment and 2) I have to fold the passenger side second row seat forward to make room for all of my equipment, so I had to create a separate section that was removable for when I am not hauling my stuff.

I used 1/2 MDF board with 1 x 1 1/2 inch pine boards to give it just enough lift to clear the plastic runners and covered it in black automotive grade carpet (a pretty close match). It looks totally stock. I'll post up some pics later.

I know that this might be overkill for most people, but it works perfectly for me and it's easily removeable if I need to use the 3rd row seats.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Here's some pics of the false floor. I didn't put in the front section, but you can get the idea...

http://picasaweb.google.com/Golferal...93326115746626

http://picasaweb.google.com/Golferal...93332033143906

http://picasaweb.google.com/Golferal...93346169493570

http://picasaweb.google.com/Golferal...93354236191026

http://picasaweb.google.com/Golferal...93317331625826

Old July 8th, 2008, 3:50 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

I haven't tried it but you should be able to remove the plastic runners and cover the socket holes w/ thin sheet metal and cover w/ the non-third row seat carpet.

BTW Golferal, that looks like factory. Nice work!
Old July 8th, 2008, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks shark! I'll post up some pics with the front section in and all of my gear loaded in next time I have a gig.
Old July 10th, 2008, 9:22 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

ORIGINAL: Golferal

I had the same gripe with my '07 LTZ. I'm a musician and had a problem loading my road case into the cargo area because it's wheels would get caught on the plastic runner and the cut outs where the mounting points are for the 3rd row seats.

My solution was to create a "false" floor that is raised up about 1" and conforms to the shape of the back area. This worked best for me for a couple of reasons: 1) My road case is about 200lbs fully loaded and a rubber cargo liner wouldn't be strong enough to support the weight of my equipment and 2) I have to fold the passenger side second row seat forward to make room for all of my equipment, so I had to create a separate section that was removable for when I am not hauling my stuff.

I used 1/2 MDF board with 1 x 1 1/2 inch pine boards to give it just enough lift to clear the plastic runners and covered it in black automotive grade carpet (a pretty close match). It looks totally stock. I'll post up some pics later.

I know that this might be overkill for most people, but it works perfectly for me and it's easily removeable if I need to use the 3rd row seats.
That is a great looking mod! good job. I think I may try something like that but to fit with the second row seats folded up creating larger bed area for storage when the wife and I go camping. My 97 tahoe created a nice flat area with the second row folded up not sure why GM got away from that.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 8:15 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pics

photos don't work for me... I now have an 09 with a pointless 3rd row that doesn't fold flat... can you upload pics? thanks!