Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Power lift gate

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Your best bet is the Helm Factory manuals for about $150 www.helminc.com
the 150 for these manuals will pay for them selves on the first major repair...
Or you can try a subscription to alldata...
Or wait and see who post the info for you....
Old November 11th, 2009, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Visits for this same issue

Our 2007 Suburban exhibited similar characteristics.
First, the lift gate groaned, made excessive noise, or failed to lift or close. The dealership "lubricated" the hydraulic struts.

Of course the problem returned <12 months later, but the symptoms were far more aggressive. The lift gate "stumbled" or "hopped" it's way up and down and frequently failed to open or close, sometimes behaving as if it encountered an obstruction and returned to it's starting position (up or down). The dealership "replaced" the hydraulic struts.

Fast forward another 12 months and the lift gate begins exhibiting the same issues, and eventually the motor simply makes a grinding noise and fails to lift or close. This time the dealer proposes a new lift gate module (motor). The installed cost is $975.00.

Chevrolet/GM have a problem with this feature and it's clear that weight and alignment conspire in some way to stress the hydraulic lifts and eventually stress the lift gate module. Perhaps an insufficient number if incidents has been reported to make this a more important issue for GM, but this should clearly be a warranty issue, regardless of mileage.
Old November 30th, 2009, 6:32 AM
Damien0869

Hi Barry ...you are on the right track, I experienced the EXACT same issue, along with the door going up and back down and stopping before closed position. I am only left with a gawd awful humming noise and no activity from the door.

My Hoe is getting fixed Tuesday. The Latch Module is defective and being changed (advised GM is experiencing issues with this module) and the Power Lift gate Actuator Motor is being replaced, as to prevent the popping from re-occurring.

Now i just wanted to write you as to let you know that, when you change either part, you will need to do a "re-learn" process on the latch module. Unfortunately, this can only be done Via GM Tech II scanner. I hope you have a source to provide this procedure for you.

Good luck Fella, cheers
DAM
Old December 16th, 2009, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Any Updates

Hi Barry,

I just purchased a 2007 Suburban and the power lift gate is displaying the same symptoms as yours. It appears that the latch is trying to release, followed by the lift motor... then it stops and 3 chimes sound and everything stops. The gate will partially become ajared but will not open. Would love to find out if you were able to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Jon
Old February 25th, 2011, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

What does one need to remove to get access to the liftgate motor/assembly? Mine is doing the same thing.
Old February 25th, 2011, 1:57 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I think you just have to remove the left rear trim panel.