Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Seat Entertainment - Dual Zone

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Entertainment - Dual Zone

From the Factory, the solution for a rear seat dual zone system is to use the wireless headphones that are included with the system. Unfortunately, this solution doesn't work very well with young children, as the headphones do not fit. The main reason that we purchased our Suburban was for our children and I really didn't like the other option of listening to all of the movies over the stereo so that everyone can hear it.

The dual zone solution that I came up with was to install a pair of laptop speaker into the rear seat cupholders. The speakers are powered off the USB port in the center console and plug into one of the headphone ports in the rear console.

This allow my wife and I to listen to whatever we would like and the children to listen to their shows. It also allows us to control how loud the video is, which is a nice feature.

I thought I would post this, as it was something that always bothered me about the stereo not supporting dual zone. Many aftermarket systems provide for dual zone, which I looked at, but this is a nice inexpensive solution that can be installed very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Seat Entertainment - Dual Zone-rearspeaker2.jpg   Rear Seat Entertainment - Dual Zone-rearspeakers.jpg  
Old April 5th, 2013, 2:12 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default not bad

Creative solution to your situation.

I approve

Now you have to take the speaker 'boxes' apart and integrate them into the sides of the vehicle's C pillars.