Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear wheel skidding on slow turns

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2015, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel skidding on slow turns

Hi I'm new to the Chevy world and I wish I knew more about my suburban but I guess I have to start somewhere right?
2013 suburban LTZ-40k miles--just recently I noticed the rear right tire skids when taking slow right hand turns, almost like the wheels aren't turning at the speed they should be. I did notice however when I purchased the truck from a Lexus dealer, in the service information it said the only thing done-which in not sure if this is regular scheduled maintenance-was a differential fluid change.
Can having the wrong fluid in the differential cause this problem, or do you suppose this problem led the previous owner to do a fluid change, and unfortunately didn't fix the issue? Thanks! If there is any information you need to help diagnose this let me know and I can get it.
Old September 13th, 2015, 8:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Is it in 4wd by any chance
Old September 13th, 2015, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, it is 4wd. I also had wondered if one of the kids was playing with the dial when playing around in the front seat, which they frequently do. So today to make sure it was set right, while in park I set it to Auto then back to 2wd to maybe reset it. Then sure enough it did it. It's only intermittently though and only when taking right hand turns, never left.
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Is your emergency brake on. Even a little? Maybe the right brake is ever so slightly engaged.
Old September 14th, 2015, 9:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is any question about the wrong fluid being in there, I'd change it out with the correct type. If (and you probably do) have one of the auto/limited slip differentials, it could be a fluid issue.

At that mileage, all (front/trans/transfer/rear) of your fluids should be renewed.

If you can find an open area (large car free parking lot etc) and see if this occurs when you're in reverse also, may focus the problem on a differential mechanical problem singularly.

Last edited by SWHouston; September 14th, 2015 at 9:38 AM.
Old September 14th, 2015, 10:44 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Being the curious person I am, if it was my truck, I'd jack up the rear so both tires are off the ground. I'd spin each one by hand to see if the differential is doing what it's supposed to do. With the gearshift in park, spinning one wheel should make the other wheel spin in the opposite direction at the same speed.

My guess would be, with what you're describing, that this will not happen.

Also, check your glovebox codes for code G80. That indicates the locking rear diff. If you have it, you might have an issue with it. The symptom of the wrong fluid would be a lack of engagement, not staying engaged.
Old September 14th, 2015, 4:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is your locking dif isn't unlocking.