TrailBlazer 2002-2009
The TrailBlazer, originally introduced as an upscale Blazer, was produced from 2002 to 2008 with a powerful I6 engine and with a monster V8 offered in the Trailblazer SS
Platform: GMT 305, 360, & 370.

Tilting Steering Wheel turns off engine

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2008, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilting Steering Wheel turns off engine

First thing this morning I turned the key and no power at all, anywhere. Then I turned to lock the key and the darn thing wouldn't come out. Then I tilted the steering wheel and got power to come on and the instrument panel lit up. I started the truck and turned it off and still couldn't get the key out-- it would not turn to the "lock" position to remove the key. I started it back up and tilted the wheel and the engine shut off. With the key on the "on" position I tilted the wheel again and the panel lit up again. Strange, but true. After starting the engine again, I backed out of the garage and put it in Drive but it had reduced engine power, it wouldn't go anywhere fast; regardless of how much acceleration I gave it, almost as if it were in neutral and giving it gas. Coincidence? or related? Please help!!!
2004 Trailblazer LS EXT 4WD.

I've never seen such a thing as tilting the steering wheel and the engine shutting off.
Old January 6th, 2008, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Tilting Steering Wheel turns off engine

Problem solved: The evening before I took my neice for driving lessons. When she entered the garage I asked her to adjust the steering wheel for me; she pulled the release lever and the steering wheel shot up forcefully. It must have broken the clip off the electrical harness and caused the "shorting" out of the wires. This wiring hook up was (you facing the steering wheel)just to the left of the ignition cylinder and in front of the (closest to you) hazard lights switch; but underneath the column. After we fastened the connection with those plastic tie-wire things, it worked fine. Engine started, wheel tilted without shutting off engine, key slid right out. On further test drive, all power was back to normal. I couldn't believe a small electrical malfunction would or could cause all that havoc.

I really hope this information will help someone else because I have friend with one of those pocket scan devices and it gave a P0740 error code which is thetorque converter clutch and its solenoid not to mention labor . I looked them up and a new one costs $1399 and up. whew---eee.

later
Old January 6th, 2008, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Tilting Steering Wheel turns off engine

addendum:

I took the battery to AutoZone to have checked, they said the battery was fine.
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

hi this is my first time doing one of these lol so bare with me i have a 2004 gmc envoy slt i started it this morning drove my daughter to school i pulled into a gas station went to start the suv back up and press on the brake it stalled i thought it had something to do with my remote start but wasn't i try starting it with the remote start and it started i put the key in and turn to the on position pressed the pedal and stalled again .... long story short i put the key in and turn to on position and my speedometer was bouncing up and down as i tilted the wheel up and down could this be a short inside the steering column?
Old March 20th, 2018, 8:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome Jonathan; you need to start a new topic in the proper area rather than tagging on to this old post. Otherwise it will not be read much.
Old April 8th, 2022, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Silverado tilt, trans shift, fuel pump l, ignition coil problem

01 Silverado tilt steering nothing works I finally found the issue you guys jeez this one was a pain. In the steering column there are all the main wires. I found the fusepannel on driver's side under the dash column there was a connector that wasn't clicked in all the way. Mine wouldn't start wouldn't roll over and trans would not shift, also dash cluster wouldn't work everything is perfect and back to normal now truck runs better than it ever has hope it helps
Old April 8th, 2022, 8:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't ya just love free fixes?!