Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear window defroster problem

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2007, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear window defroster problem

Hello everybody,

My 2000 LT's rear defroster is not working. It not too much of an issue now, but I would like to get it repaired before theupcoming fall and winter months. The issue is that the male connector has detached from the rear window. Is there a way to reattach it? I am guessing you would have to use some type of adhesive that also works as a conductor; not sure what that would be. If reattaching it is not an option, where would be the best place to get a replacement rear window? It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to replace, so I am not really interested in getting one from a typical autoglass company, but shipping is probably going to ridiculous on GLASS.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old September 7th, 2007, 3:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear window defroster problem

Not that I am suggesting this, but... I know someone who had this happen and a foreign object mysteriously broke the rear glass (the day after he found the broken connector)causing the window (and broken defroster) to be replaced by insurance. Of course he had full glass coverage so it didn't cost a dime!!!

Old September 7th, 2007, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

That is certainly an option (underhanded but an option nonetheless), and I do have full coverage on my Tahoe, but I have not made a claim on my insurance in a very long time. I would hate to sacrifice the discounts I am getting now for a new window, but hey if push comes to shove!
Old September 7th, 2007, 8:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Glass claims don't count against you're safe driving and/or claimless history (at least in NY)...
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No,false onescount against ALL OF US
Old September 10th, 2007, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

So now that we have gotten that out of the way.....

Anyone have suggestions on repairs or replacement?
Old February 1st, 2010, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Idid have a problem with the right terminal falling off of the rear window defogger on my 07 tahoe. After four window replacements GM finally said no further assistance will be given on the GM extended warranty. Irepaired the problem by purchasing a defogger relay for twelve dollars. The relay sticks from time to time and cause the window to get too hot so the solder melts and the terminal falls off. Good luck
Old April 7th, 2010, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe Rear Defrost Wire Problem

Originally Posted by ishwill
Idid have a problem with the right terminal falling off of the rear window defogger on my 07 tahoe. After four window replacements GM finally said no further assistance will be given on the GM extended warranty. Irepaired the problem by purchasing a defogger relay for twelve dollars. The relay sticks from time to time and cause the window to get too hot so the solder melts and the terminal falls off. Good luck

We are in the same boat. GM has replaced our rear window about 4 times and tried to soder it about 3 times. They have now told us that it is something we are doing and is not a defect of GM. Funny, cause when you google this problem, there are a lot of people complaining about the same problem. They have said we are on our own in getting is fixed. We are in the process of consulting an attorney.
Old April 7th, 2010, 8:26 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

When it is repaired, did they stretch the two coiled cords so there is no stress on the connectors when the window is closed? I noticed that the 2010 cords are stretched.
Old April 8th, 2010, 8:32 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
When it is repaired, did they stretch the two coiled cords so there is no stress on the connectors when the window is closed? I noticed that the 2010 cords are stretched.
Yup, that's the secret! I made 2 short wire jumpers with a male and female terminal clip on either end. There is absolutely no tension on the solder points now.