Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Remote Start does not Engage Climate Control System

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2012, 2:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> When AUTO is selected, the display will change to show the current temperature(s) and AUTO will be lit on the display. The current delivery mode and fan speed will also be displayed for approximately 5 seconds. When AUTO is selected, the air conditioning operation and air inlet will be automatically controlled. The air conditioning compressor will run when the outside temperature is over about 40°F. The air inlet will normally be set to outside air. If it is hot outside, the air inlet may automatically switch to re-circulate inside air to help quickly cool down the vehicle. The light on the button will illuminate in recirculation.

Set the driver’s and passenger’s temperature.
To find your comfort setting, start with a 74°F temperature setting and allow about 20 minutes for the system to regulate. Use the driver’s or passenger’s temperature buttons to adjust the temperature setting as necessary. If you choose the temperature setting of 60°F, the system will remain at the maximum cooling setting. If you choose the temperature setting of 90°F, the system will remain at the maximum heat setting. Choosing either maximum setting will not cause the vehicle to heat or cool any faster.

I hope this information is helpful. There is additional information, regarding the climate sensors, in your owner's manual on page 3-31.

A digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...olet-Tahoe.pdf

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...olet-Tahoe.pdf

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service
Louis,

Great post, great link. Just purchased a new 2012 Tahoe LT last week with Auto climate control and remote start. Following the writeup in the owners manual is leading me to believe it should go to heat when remote started. Temps here have been in the lower 40's, and neither the heat or heated seats come on after remote start. Is their a delay for engine coolant temp to get to a certain point, or should it be coming right on? I usually only wait about 2 minutes after the remote start to go outside in get in the vehicle. Not a single morning here has the heat been on or the heated seats.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion!

Gerry-
Norfolk, VA
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> gerrym,

In order for the heat to come on with auto-start, the fan setting on the climate control system must be set to the proper setting (I would recommend ‘high’ to start).

The heated seats will turn on during colder outside temperatures and shut off when the key is turned to ON/RUN.

There is also temperature sensors located in the headliner above and behind the front grille. They work together to maintain the temperature inside the vehicle. Any cover on the front of the vehicle could cause a false reading, resulting in a false temperature.

And, yes, the engine temperature plays a part as well.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 20th, 2012, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Louis, thanks for the reply. Still a disconnect. You said leave the fan ON, but the owners manual says do that with a manual climate control the heat (or AC). This Tahoe has the dual full automatic controls, and the owners guide just states after a remote start "if the vehicle has an automatic climate control system, the climate control system will default to a heating or cooling mode depending on the outside temperatures". Guess it has not been cold enough here yet or we are getting in the vehicle before the engine coolant temp hits the magic number. Specifics on those temp parameters would tell me what is or is not happening.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by gerrym
Louis, thanks for the reply. Still a disconnect. You said leave the fan ON, but the owners manual says do that with a manual climate control the heat (or AC). This Tahoe has the dual full automatic controls, and the owners guide just states after a remote start "if the vehicle has an automatic climate control system, the climate control system will default to a heating or cooling mode depending on the outside temperatures". Guess it has not been cold enough here yet or we are getting in the vehicle before the engine coolant temp hits the magic number. Specifics on those temp parameters would tell me what is or is not happening.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> gerrym,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Is there anything covering the solar sensor located on the top of the instrument panel near the windshield? The sensor regulates air temperature based on sun load, if it is covered, it may not operate properly.

Also, please be aware that to avoid blowing cold air in cold weather, the system will delay turning on the fan until warm air is available. The length of the delay depends on the engine coolant temperature.

I would be happy to check my resources for additional information regarding temperature specifics. In order to proceed, please provide your VIN.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Louis,

Thanks for the quick reply. Nothing blocking the sensor at the top center of the dash. I believe this system is working correctly, i.e. as Chevrolet programmed it. The heat came on at low yesterday AM after about 3 minutes of warm up time, so its definitely looking for a specific outside temp and a specific engine coolant temp. Just would love to know what those actual programmed settings are.

I'll PM you the VIN just in case something else is going on... but I believe its functioning.

Gerry-
Old December 28th, 2014, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Having the same problem...

I have a 2014 Silverado 3500HD. This vehicle has the automatic climate control, heated and cooled seats and remote start (both on key fob and through OnStar). It is in the 30s here now and try as I might, I cannot get the seat heaters to come on when using remote start.

I looked on the screen for options but with having Navigation, I see nothing at all about remote start options. I went through the menus on the driver information center (a.k.a. dashboard view) and cannot seem to find an option for this.

Many people have complained about this and I figured there has to be a solution.

Please help!

Thanks for your time...

Dennis
Old November 25th, 2020, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2018 chevy equinox not heating with electric start

Originally Posted by Merbs
Hi all - I am new to the forum, but have some experience so I tried searching through the various threads but am coming up dry.

When I remote start the truck, there is no response from the climate control system. I read the manual as well and here is what I found:

"If your vehicle has an automatic climate control system,
the climate control system will default to a heating or
cooling mode depending on the outside temperatures.
If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate control
system, the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle
was set to when the vehicle was last turned off."

Neither of the above is happening. So this morning before I turned the truck off, I pushed the "Auto" button, and still no go when I remote started this afternoon. The truck is still covered under warranty, and I can make an appt, but would rather check here first in case I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for any feedback! Happy New Year!

PS - Anyone know how I can find out what options are installed on my truck?
I am currently in the with my 2018 Chevy Equinox at the dealer as we speak, with the SAME problem. Just purchased and NOT having a heated vehicle to get into in the Rochester NY a.m. is a deal breaker! SUV is DEAD COLD when I get in, even making sure I kept all fan, heat on when I turn the car off in hopes that the next morning it will heat up!! Hope they have good news for me!,
Old September 25th, 2021, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to know what the dealer told you as I have the same problem.
Old September 26th, 2021, 11:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by janny13
I would like to know what the dealer told you as I have the same problem.
In my newer Traverse and Equinox there are options in the screens for turning it on in remote start. I think it needs to be in Auto mode also. Manual is a long read but it's in there. No manual then you can read it on the My Chevrolet website.

Quick Reply: Remote Start does not Engage Climate Control System