Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Remote Start does not Engage Climate Control System

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2011, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start does not Engage Climate Control System

Hi all - I am new to the forum, but have some experience so I tried searching through the various threads but am coming up dry.

When I remote start the truck, there is no response from the climate control system. I read the manual as well and here is what I found:

"If your vehicle has an automatic climate control system,
the climate control system will default to a heating or
cooling mode depending on the outside temperatures.
If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate control
system, the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle
was set to when the vehicle was last turned off."

Neither of the above is happening. So this morning before I turned the truck off, I pushed the "Auto" button, and still no go when I remote started this afternoon. The truck is still covered under warranty, and I can make an appt, but would rather check here first in case I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for any feedback! Happy New Year!

PS - Anyone know how I can find out what options are installed on my truck?
Old December 30th, 2011, 2:37 PM
CF Active Member

What is the outside air temp when doing this ?
Old December 30th, 2011, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Low to mid 30s, but after you asked...it was in the mid 50s this afternoon when I left work.
Old December 30th, 2011, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

My husband found a reference in another GM Forum that talks about the heat not coming on until the coolant reached a certain temperature. that could explain the system not starting, but not the seats not turning on. We'll keep searching!
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

So when you shut down and lock it, the HVAC system is in "Auto"?
Old December 31st, 2011, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome!

I dont remember what it was set to the night before when I shut the truck off. I am going to make sure that I leave it on auto on Monday night for my Tuesday morning (445AM remote start) and see what happens!

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know! Have a safe/happy new year!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Remote Start Problem

I have a 2011 2500 Silverado Diesel 6.6 I am having the same problems. I have read that the diesel will only run for 10 mintues, but you can hit the remote button to more times prior to 10 mintutes being up.

That may let the coolant heat up emough for heater to come on.

I have left the A/C in auto and remote started it and still heat does not come on with remote start.

I will try to remote start it after running it awhile to see if heat will come on with remote start.

The heating and air should come on with remote start as I would think the is the purpose of having remote start in the first place. Nice and warm cab in the winder and cool cab in the summer.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 5:58 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Merbs,

If you PM me your VIN number, I will be able to tell you the options installed on your truck. However, it sounds as though your vehicle does not have the automatic climate control system. If the vehicle has the automatic climate control system, the heated seats begin heating when remote start is used; they do not without the automatic climate control system.

Note: Be careful not to cover the solar sensor located on the top of the instrument panel near the windshield. This sensor regulates air temperature based on sun load and also turns on the headlamps.

You want to make sure you have your climate control set to the settings you want the vehicle to be at when remote starting. Using the "Auto" feature may not be effective with remote start. To avoid blowing cold air in cold weather, the system will delay turning on the fan until warm air is available. The length of delay depends on the engine coolant temperature.

The coolant not reaching the proper temperature is a possibility. How long are you allowing the vehicle to run after you remote start it? If this continues to be an issue, I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. Please keep us posted.

Let's Roll,

When the vehicle is started using remote start, the engine will continue to run for
10 minutes. Repeat the steps for a 10-minute time extension. Remote start can be extended only once.

The same applies to your vehicle regarding the automatic climate control system. If the vehicle has an automatic climate control system, the climate control system will default to a heating or cooling mode depending on the outside temperatures. If the vehicle does not have an automatic climate control system, the system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was set to when the vehicle was last turned off. During a remote start, if the vehicle has an automatic climate control system and heated seats, the heated seats will turn on during colder outside temperatures and will shut off when the key is turned to ON/RUN. If the vehicle does not have an automatic climate control system, during remote start, manually turn the heated seats on and off.

Your vehicle may not have an automatic climate control system. Have you tried setting the climate control setting to your desired setting before using the remote start? If so, did that make a difference?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 3rd, 2012, 4:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Let's Roll
I have a 2011 2500 Silverado Diesel 6.6 I am having the same problems. I have read that the diesel will only run for 10 mintues, but you can hit the remote button to more times prior to 10 mintutes being up.

That may let the coolant heat up emough for heater to come on.

I have left the A/C in auto and remote started it and still heat does not come on with remote start.

I will try to remote start it after running it awhile to see if heat will come on with remote start.

The heating and air should come on with remote start as I would think the is the purpose of having remote start in the first place. Nice and warm cab in the winder and cool cab in the summer.

Let's Roll - my husband found a site that says if the truck is not warm enough to produce warm air, the system will not come on. My heated seat turne don with every remote start this weekend. Must have just been at a point where the temperature was not quite cool enough last week. (it was 27 this morning; I remote started; heated seats came on; heat/defroster did not -- but I belive I understand this is because the truck was not warm enough to produce warm air.)

Hope this helps!
Old January 3rd, 2012, 4:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Merbs,

If you PM me your VIN number, I will be able to tell you the options installed on your truck. However, it sounds as though your vehicle does not have the automatic climate control system. If the vehicle has the automatic climate control system, the heated seats begin heating when remote start is used; they do not without the automatic climate control system.

Note: Be careful not to cover the solar sensor located on the top of the instrument panel near the windshield. This sensor regulates air temperature based on sun load and also turns on the headlamps.

You want to make sure you have your climate control set to the settings you want the vehicle to be at when remote starting. Using the "Auto" feature may not be effective with remote start. To avoid blowing cold air in cold weather, the system will delay turning on the fan until warm air is available. The length of delay depends on the engine coolant temperature.

The coolant not reaching the proper temperature is a possibility. How long are you allowing the vehicle to run after you remote start it? If this continues to be an issue, I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection. Please keep us posted.
Louis
GM Customer Service
Louis,

thanks for the helpful information. I will PM you my VIN this evening (do not have it with me.) I will also check out the sensor to make sure it was not blocked by the previous owner! Do you know at what temperature the Automatic Climate Control System engages in the winter? Just curious - my heated seats have been coming on the last few days, but it has been MUCH colder (27 this morning, low 30s over the weekend)

Quick Reply: Remote Start does not Engage Climate Control System