Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Remote Start Does not turn on AC or dash

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2010, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start Does not turn on AC or dash

Greetings

I have a 2008 Suburban with climate control. The factory remote start works fine, except it does not turn on the dashboard or the AC circuits - which makes it useless. It was like this when it was new. I took it to two different dealers and they insist it is normal.

Is there a relay bank that switches the run circuits on? If so, could this be the problem? Perhaps a sticking relay? Or is everything done in the computer?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
Old January 26th, 2010, 7:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2007 w/ remote start turns on the HVAC with the appropriate settings based on exterior temp. Do you have the automatic climate control? Is your burb an LS, LT or LTZ?
Old January 26th, 2010, 9:22 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

if you are leaving your AC (or heat) turned on with the settings you want, when you turn off the key all those same setting should still be there with the remote start. (I don't have the remote start on my 07 but have had it on other vehicles) and they all remote start with what ever was left on whe the vehicle was turned off last even radio
Old January 26th, 2010, 9:26 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do not have automatic climate control then you must leave it on the setting you want when you turn the truck off.
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
if you are leaving your AC (or heat) turned on with the settings you want, when you turn off the key all those same setting should still be there with the remote start. (I don't have the remote start on my 07 but have had it on other vehicles) and they all remote start with what ever was left on whe the vehicle was turned off last even radio
On the 07+, if you have auto climate control it will turn on exterior temp appropriate settings regardless of what you set when you shut off the vehicle. When you put in the key, it will revert to the last settings.

Also, for the original poster, when in remote start mode, the dash appears to be off. In mine, it does not turn on until the key is turned to the on position.
Old January 27th, 2010, 7:23 AM
CF Addict

same here; remote start does NOT light up the dash or radio, only HVAC and heated seats if its below 40 out...
Old January 27th, 2010, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies!

It's an 08 Z71 LTZ with the electronic climate control. Down here in Florida the AC does come on, but the fan blows very slowly. It does not blow anywhere near enough to cool off the truck. It appears that an entire circuit is not getting energized by the remote start system. That is why I was wondering if there was a relay bank somewhere that might have a bad relay in it??? Or is it all solid state? The whole truck is just one big computer on wheels!!!
Old January 28th, 2010, 7:33 AM
CF Addict

Default truck

if it's an 08 go visit a dealer, sounds like warrenty.

Also, it's either a Z71 OR a LTZ... the Z71 is based on the LT package...

the Z71 used to be the top of the line, now it's the 'off road' one... while LTZ gets the autoride suspension...

I like the look of the Z more, the flares + the seats (grey + black), but I liked the 20s and autoride.... and I was having a ____ of a time finding a z71 w/sat nav. ohh, I also like the grey dash panels more than my fake wood ones... i wish you could mix / match more...