Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replaced A/C Belt, but now making an odd noise.

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2009, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replaced A/C Belt, but now making an odd noise.

The other day, my ac compressor belt snapped on my 2002 Tahoe 5.3L. So I ran to Kragen and bought a new goodyear gatorback ac belt, and a serpentine as well, (I figured i might as well replace it too while i'm down there as it has 94000 miles.)

So I switched them out no problem, and the serpentine runs beautifully, but when i turn on the ac, and it engages, i hear a loud-ish fast clicking noise that is heard when I accelerate. It goes away when i'm at speed. Does this sound like a problem with the ac tensioner pulley, or maybe something else?
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

We have the same noise in our 2001 Suburban. I just replaced a tensioner arm and belts and the noise still is there when the AC is turned on as if there is plastic rubbing on plastic or something is slipping. Did you ever resolve your issue, if so what was it? Thanks.
Old August 20th, 2010, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

it sounds like your compressor is going out i had that problem with my dodge ram i had. i bought a new smaller belt to bypass the ac compressor until i was able to replace it. you might want to get the compressor checked out. if it is the problem you can blow the serpentine belt
Old August 30th, 2010, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tensioner Pulley

Taking mine into the dealer tomorrow. Already have replaced the tensioner and belt and it still does it. Will let you know.
Old August 31st, 2010, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Took to the dealer today and they said my compressor is fallin gapart and they ordered a new one. Willl install tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Kathy Powers (June 2nd, 2020)
Old July 13th, 2014, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Belt tensioner

Replaced belt and tensioner still clacks looked at it while running and it's definitely still tensioner... Don't know what's wrong... Maybe belt a little to big or small... Can't really figure it out... Can anyone help
Old July 13th, 2014, 5:01 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

#james1676 Welcome to the forum...

So if I understand you correctly, you replaced the belt and tensioner because the AC was making noise, and its still making the same noise and you see a lot of movement in the tensioner.....
What year is your vehicle? what engine do you have?
Is the AC still cooling well?
Old April 14th, 2015, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for the help. I was getting a noisy belt/pulley clicking noise, especially after rain, regardless of whether or not the AC compressor was running. I replaced the AC belt tensioner pulley assembly and the AC belt - nice and quiet now. I would not be surprised if both the tensioner and the AC belt were OEM from the factory (at 169K miles!). The belt was cracked through - it would have snapped at any moment.
Old April 14th, 2015, 4:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by beasticles
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for the help. I was getting a noisy belt/pulley clicking noise, especially after rain, regardless of whether or not the AC compressor was running. I replaced the AC belt tensioner pulley assembly and the AC belt - nice and quiet now. I would not be surprised if both the tensioner and the AC belt were OEM from the factory (at 169K miles!). The belt was cracked through - it would have snapped at any moment.
Thanks for following up with your fix! its what makes forums work
Old August 23rd, 2021, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default It's the compressor

Originally Posted by kronzy
We have the same noise in our 2001 Suburban. I just replaced a tensioner arm and belts and the noise still is there when the AC is turned on as if there is plastic rubbing on plastic or something is slipping. Did you ever resolve your issue, if so what was it? Thanks.
The compressor is going out.

Quick Reply: Replaced A/C Belt, but now making an odd noise.