Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

replaced front right wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default replaced front right wheel bearing

Just got back from the dealer for a 90K service on my 07 Tahoe. I asked them to check into a noise that I've heard for quite some time, probably since I've purchased the vehicle, it sounds like brake pad and rotor constantly rubbing even when I dont have the brake pedal depressed. I hear it when the car is coasting at about 25-30 mph, suspected wheel bearings. Asked them to look into it, and they said the front left bearings are the cause of the noise, so they replaced it under warranty, he found out that the wheel bearings fall under the 100K drivetrain warranty. (not sure if this is right, but hey I'm not complaining saved me supposedly $500). So as I'm driving home, I listen for the noise and I still hear it but its not as noticeable, so now I'm not sure if it's wheel bearings to begin with. But the service advisor said the tech check all 4 and listened with a stethescope and only said the front left needed to be replaced.

Has anyone had this issue I'm having or can give me some insight on wheel bearing issues or signs of bad bearings? Thanks.
Old November 4th, 2009, 2:10 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default miles

if my math is right; you put a hell of a lot of miles on your tahoe.

and that's a technical term.
Old November 7th, 2009, 1:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I have put a lot of road time on it. hehe! Its a pre-07 model, so I've had it since Apr. of 2006. Had a few problems that were troublesome, and still have issues.
Old November 7th, 2009, 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That isn't the sound you generally get from a bad wheel bearing. The pads on GM and a lot of other brands for that matter hang up in th stainless hardware in the caliper bracket. I usually have too drive the pads out with a hammer. Most commonly the outer pad hangs and the inner ones wear out way before the outers. Take a look at this to see what I mean
http://jimscampingforums.com/forums/...p?topic=1682.0

Here is a possible source for your noise, The rotors rust, as they do they build up a layer of rust around the circumference. That rust can scrape against the caliper hardware. I had it happen on the back rotors on my truck this summer. JUst take a hammer and chip it all off.

A wheel bearing usually sounds like a growl or rumble and the sound changes as you load and unload the bearing by turning left and right while going down the highway. Think slalom course. By them changing one of the bearings they had to take the brakes apart and they MAY have removed some rust in the process or freed up a sticking pad.
Bob
Old December 28th, 2009, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

In the process of replacing passenger side front wheel hub myself with only 69k miles. Anyone know how to get the old one off? I tried prying it off but was unsuccessful. Autozone had the part for $180, all one piece. don't care about warrantys cause from my experience service dept. only cost me precious time as well as money, plus Im 2nd owner. Mine sounded like a grinding noise and play was close to 3/8 of an inch with the axel nut not broken yet. The only way I found it was through replacing the brakes and rotors(which the rotors were warped). Anyone with this issue?
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Someone here should be able to provide some insight.
Old February 15th, 2010, 9:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just experienced a right front wheel bearing failure yesterday (250 miles from home). It was replaced under the 100K drivetrain warranty. Mine started out like a tire hum ( I noticed it right away), then I started to hear scuffing of the rotor on the shield as I turned a corner, then total, complete, undriveable failure. Fortunately, that happened in the dealership parking lot!
Old March 27th, 2018, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default How to replace it is not that hard so save some money

Old March 27th, 2018, 2:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

love youtube for this kind of stuff. I never knew about pulling the rotor like that. I usually just whack it w/a hammer... but I usually remove them to replace them anyway, so keeping it 'nice' doesn't matter anyway...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; March 27th, 2018 at 2:06 PM.
Old March 14th, 2021, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

You see, this kind of noise could be caused by a hell a lot of factors actually. Did you actually feel something like... some really small kicks on the break pedal?! I have had this issue on a lot of cars, and I can tell you, that it was caused by different factors every single time. The last time when I have faced it, it was on my mustang. It was caused by the wheel offset. I do not remember exactly all the details, but it was the freaking wheel offset. I actually found out how to fix it on https://low-offset.com/workshop/unde...-wheel-offset/ as they are having a lot of useful information regarding this kind of issues.

Last edited by Kylisher; March 15th, 2021 at 3:57 PM.

Quick Reply: replaced front right wheel bearing