Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replacement Side Mirrors - '99 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2010, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Side Mirrors - '99 Tahoe

When I bought my nephew's Tahoe the right side mirror (glass and snap on backing plate) was missing. Last year a truck took too wide a turn over a narrow bridge and his mirror hit mine, knocking the glass/backing plate out and shattering the glass (he didn't stop so I couldn't try to get money from him and my insurance deductible is too high).

So now I have two exterior motor/housing mirror units, both with no glass/backing plate. Both mirrors had self-dimming, heated glass and are power-assist. I want to replace the glass/backing plates but they apparently are dealers items and together cost more than $900 (freakin' outrageous if you ask me). I have tried "junk yards" but no one seems to have any '99 Tahoes/Suburbans/Silveradoes.

Does anyone know someplace that sells aftermarket glass/backing plates for reasonable prices? I would like to have the self-dimming, heated features, but just heat only would be fine. I could even be happy with non-heated but I live in New England and the heated feature is nice. I know eBay has complete heated/power units for reasonable prices but I can't see paying for the motor/housing unit when all I need is the glass/backing plate.

Also, will heated glass work if plugged into a connector designed for heated, self-dimming (that is, are the connectors the same and the pins in the right locations)

Your help and responses are greatly appreciated.
Old June 27th, 2010, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Ebay.com

much cheaper there.
Old June 27th, 2010, 9:37 PM
CF Active Member

this was just brought up few weeks ago. I think the best thing to do is replace them with just a heated mirror that has the motor in it. it is the dimming glass that cost big bucks.
Old June 30th, 2010, 3:34 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

1AAuto has the power heated for $49

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/Chevy/Tahoe/-/-/1999?
Old June 30th, 2010, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all your responses. As I wrote I have checked out eBay but I am really looking for just the glass/backing plate. I am going though foreclosure mediation and am trying to save money in case I have to move out. I figure if a power, heated unit (complete) can be purcahsed for less than $50, then the glass/backing plate should be less than $20 each. However, it seems impossible to find just this piece. Supposedly it is a dealer only part but dealers in my area do not have them and won't even order them because it is not worth it to them.