Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replacing a Charcoal Canister

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2015, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a Charcoal Canister

It seems that everyone confuses these part names, so I'm including the pic for reference.
I have a 2007 Burb Z71 5.3Flex throwing a P0455 code for a few months now.
I've replaced the gas cap, vent solenoid, purge valve & have the charcoal canister to replace but like knowing what I'm getting into before I try.
Problem is, when I search the charcoal canister, all the information is for the vent solenoid.
Does anyone have the info on changing it? It's easy to access right behind the spare. I just need some insight before trying to get under the truck. Thanks!

Old October 20th, 2015, 7:37 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking at the manual it is referenced as Evaporative Emission Canister

Give this a read and see if it helps and let us know
Attached Files
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Looking at the manual it is referenced as Evaporative Emission Canister

Give this a read and see if it helps and let us know
Thank you!!
Every single time I search, it's been impossible to find what I'm looking for. All the parts places call it a charcoal canister as well, so this gives me a better idea. Seems fairly easy to do & my truck has enough clearance that it shouldn't be too difficult to reach. I'll check back in a few days after I get it changed out. (Currently working to get my sisters Altima running).
Old November 18th, 2015, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

So, we changed the canister & it was full of liquid gas, as suspected. Hubby broke 2 of the U clips (that hold the quick connectors in place) when putting the new one back on (they seemed brittle & new ones are ordered from the dealership). He looked at it again today & one of the lines is wet inside, so liquid gas is still getting to the canister. What's my next step? Replace the hoses? All 3? The Vent valve solenoid is also newly replaced as is the purge valve. My P0455 code came back up yesterday, so I know there's a large leak somewhere.
Any chance it could be something other than hoses?
Any insight is appreciated. If the job seems too in depth, we have a great non-stealership mechanic.
Thanks
Old November 18th, 2015, 4:05 PM
CF Active Member

Did anyone put gas in the vehicle just before or right after the part was changed? If so when filling up the truck do you keep going after the pump kicks off trying like so many do to round up to an even dollar? This could be part of it and I don't know any other way fuel could get into the canister? When you fuel it stop when the pump stops. If gas is in the canister its most likely bad from what I've read.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

stop overfilling the tank, getting fuel in the tank degrades the charcoal and can cause many other issues. If the clips aren't installed the lines may be leaking. Going off memory p0455 is large leak/gross leak? Did you check the line going to the purge solenoid? I've seen them rubbed through before also
Old March 31st, 2016, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

I know it's been awhile, but I thought I'd update anyway.
After changing everything on the emissions system, I was still getting overflow off the top of the tank when I filled up (not topping off) and the gas smell was horrible. I finally took it to the dealership because I didn't want to struggle with the gas tank myself. Turns out, the P0455 (large leak) was due to the fuel sensor in the top of the tank being fouled out because the large O ring was deteriorated. Basically, I have a new emissions system now.
Obviously, since I had bought it used, I cannot be certain if the previous owner topped off at fill ups and caused the eventual wear of the O ring, but all the lines, connectors, canister, solenoid, purge valve, gas cap & now sensor & O ring are all brand new.
Process of elimination from least expensive to most expensive was the same thing the dealership suggested, but since I had already changed everything else myself & listed it off when I took it in, they were able to get my truck back to me the next day.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

BurbinMomma Thank you for following up with your post! that is what makes a forum work you may save someone some headaches