Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

reprogram recirculate air actuator?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2021, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question reprogram recirculate air actuator?

Hello - 2012 Suburban LT (Z71) and trying to find a way to be able to block fresh air intake without the AC running.

Currently, if the HVAC is not running cannot activate the recirculate button. If the heat is running cannot activate the recirculate button. My understanding is this is to reduce moisture buildup up and help with O2 levels in the cabin.

However, there are times I want to keep outside air from coming in, for example, if driving by a cattle ranch, or there is an old non-maintained diesel truck in front of me.

Can the actuator be reprogramed or replaced with an aftermarket kit so it can work just like the newer model vehicles do?
Old April 18th, 2021, 2:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Recirc only works with system on. It's designed that way so fresh air goes into the inside when ever possible to prevent any possible exhaust or carbon monoxide from getting inside if system is off or on .
There is no factory or aftermarket to reprogram the recirc.. Putting in a air filter kit with a carbon filter is the only thing and that will not eliminate strong odors.

Last edited by repairman54; April 18th, 2021 at 2:57 PM.
Old April 19th, 2021, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PabloColina
Hello - 2012 Suburban LT (Z71) and trying to find a way to be able to block fresh air intake without the AC running.

Currently, if the HVAC is not running cannot activate the recirculate button. If the heat is running cannot activate the recirculate button. My understanding is this is to reduce moisture buildup up and help with O2 levels in the cabin.

However, there are times I want to keep outside air from coming in, for example, if driving by a cattle ranch, or there is an old non-maintained diesel truck in front of me.

Can the actuator be reprogramed or replaced with an aftermarket kit so it can work just like the newer model vehicles do?

Nifty trick learned yesterday to share with forum:

If you set the fan to blow in both top and bottom vents, then you can activate the recirculate mode with the hvac off!