Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ride Quality (updated 2/21)

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2007, 2:33 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ride Quality

Landon,
The God's honest truth is that the Vortec-MAX is rated at 22 more horsepower (367vs.345) and the same torque (375lbft) than the current Hemi.

There is no set industry standard when it comes to claiming engine power, Chrysler (over the years) has been notorious for over-rating power and GM has always gone the other way.

I'm not saying that the Hemi is a slouch, it isn't. But when we do our head to head tests using trucks that are as close a match to one another as we can make them the new Vortec-MAX kills the Hemi in every power related match-up. The reason is not only that the MAX engine is more powerful but the GM is much more efficient at getting the power to the pavement.

Later this year a new Federal Government mandate (brought about by the FTC) takes effect that standardizes engine power tests and requires car builders to use actual and correct figures. GM has been using this new method for several years now, you may notice that a few years ago GM normally had rounded off power ratings of 150 or 285, 300, 340 etc, but for the last couple of years you’re see horsepower figures like: 367 for the MAX and 303 for the Impala SS and etc. When the mandate takes effect you will see most manufacturer’s horsepower claims drop.
Old February 7th, 2007, 4:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

The last 05 Dodge Ram that I drove reminded me of an old International Travelall; except the Pentastar was more archaic and less refined.........and the Travelall was a tad smoother and more reliable.
I've beendriving....no wrestlingan '02 Ram Turbodiesel with a soild Danafront axle for the last 134,000 miles. I once got stopped by a NJ trooper on the Turnpike. He thought I might have been drinking becausehe observed me slowly drifting around in the center lane. I assured him I hadn't had a drop but that the Dodge was a bear to keep in a straight line while doing 75. He noted that the speed limit was 10 mph slower, and suggested that it might be prudent to keep it at 65, gave me my license back and I was off.....still drifting back and forth in my lane. Driving that thing is a workout, and I can't wait to get behind my Tahoe. It's now waiting for me in NJ.
Old February 7th, 2007, 4:15 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Landon,
The God's honest truth is that the Vortec-MAX is rated at 22 more horsepower (367vs.345) and the same torque (375lbft) than the current Hemi.

There is no set industry standard when it comes to claiming engine power, Chrysler (over the years) has been notorious for over-rating power and GM has always gone the other way.

I'm not saying that the Hemi is a slouch, it isn't. But when we do our head to head tests using trucks that are as close a match to one another as we can make them the new Vortec-MAX kills the Hemi in every power related match-up. The reason is not only that the MAX engine is more powerful but the GM is much more efficient at getting the power to the pavement.

Later this year a new Federal Government mandate (brought about by the FTC) takes effect that standardizes engine power tests and requires car builders to use actual and correct figures. GM has been using this new method for several years now, you may notice that a few years ago GM normally had rounded off power ratings of 150 or 285, 300, 340 etc, but for the last couple of years you're see horsepower figures like: 367 for the MAX and 303 for the Impala SS and etc. When the mandate takes effect you will see most manufacturer's horsepower claims drop.
Thanks, and I appreciate the info. I just wanted to let you know that with the new body style silverado that this is the first year since 1994that I will/would purchase a new Silverado over a Ram. Thanks for the info, and I actually do plan to purchase a silverado within the next year! Thanks again.
Old February 7th, 2007, 4:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on Mopar truck handling - I got rid of my 1998 Durango in order to get my 2007 Tahoe. From day1 that thing had themost sloppysteering I had ever experienced in a late model vehicle - constantly wandered down the road almost as bad as my old 1979 Ramcharger. But on the plus side, at least I never lost one of my front axles as some of the 2000 > 2003 Durangos were prone to do. Also, since I'm bashing Dodge - my Durango looked like new from the outside & inside - but once underneath it was a rust bucket. Everything was rotting out big time, both Mopar running boards completely disintegrated, brake lines corroded to the point of leaking, engine block actually separating 1/4" chunks of metal - completely unacceptable for a garage kept vehicle with 65K miles! .....and, I live in an area where road salt & bad winters are rare. Also starting to have sloppy handling issues with my wife's 1997 Sebring Conv. - & it only has 21K miles. After these two experiences I'd have a hard time justifying future Mopars. I will admit that Mopar has some nicely styled vehicles (Charger, Magnum, etc.) but I always thought the interiors on pretty much all the Chrysler products looked cheap. As far as the Hemi is concerned, aside from the nostalgia aspect, its power is not much of a differentiator from the GM powerplants unless you get into the limited production SRT's - in which case GM also has its bases covered.

Wanted to buy a Tahoe instead of the Durango back in 1998 but my wife thought it was too big. This time around I didn't even ask.
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: konasmrz

Ditto on Mopar truck handling - I got rid of my 1998 Durango in order to get my 2007 Tahoe. From day1 that thing had themost sloppysteering I had ever experienced in a late model vehicle - constantly wandered down the road almost as bad as my old 1979 Ramcharger. But on the plus side, at least I never lost one of my front axles as some of the 2000 > 2003 Durangos were prone to do. Also, since I'm bashing Dodge - my Durango looked like new from the outside & inside - but once underneath it was a rust bucket. Everything was rotting out big time, both Mopar running boards completely disintegrated, brake lines corroded to the point of leaking, engine block actually separating 1/4" chunks of metal - completely unacceptable for a garage kept vehicle with 65K miles! .....and, I live in an area where road salt & bad winters are rare. Also starting to have sloppy handling issues with my wife's 1997 Sebring Conv. - & it only has 21K miles. After these two experiences I'd have a hard time justifying future Mopars. I will admit that Mopar has some nicely styled vehicles (Charger, Magnum, etc.) but I always thought the interiors on pretty much all the Chrysler products looked cheap. As far as the Hemi is concerned, aside from the nostalgia aspect, its power is not much of a differentiator from the GM powerplants unless you get into the limited production SRT's - in which case GM also has its bases covered.

Wanted to buy a Tahoe instead of the Durango back in 1998 but my wife thought it was too big. This time around I didn't even ask.
the 98-99 Durangos were junk but in 2000 theywere upgradedwith better steering linkage and electric fans i had a 2000 Durango with the 5.9 wish i kept it still is my favorite truck...

Old February 21st, 2007, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

I should of known there would be plenty of Dodge bashing going on here[sm=smiley1.gif]

Update to my origional post. I believe the problem has been solved.

Turns out it was an alignment issue. I've always been told alignments can cause vibrations, but this is the first time I've actually experienced it. Odd thing was, the truck never pulled one way or the other. Service manager claims just about every aspect of the alingment was off, not by much but it was not up to spec.

I'm glad to report my test ride this afternoon was the best ride I've had in the tahoe since we've owned it (2.5months). Hardly any steering wheel movement even at 80mph. Truck feels like it's on rails now, what a relief.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Glad to hear that you finally have the vehicle you paid for. Now go put some happy miles behind you!
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Did they do the alignment under warranty or did you have to pay? Just curious.
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange this was the issue, I should have thought about it but he made it sound like it had major issues! I had a 2005 dodge ram that went through wheels, rotations, tires, etc in the first 1,000 miles and it turned out it was the damn alignment! Cracked me up that they didnt think of this before a new wheel and tire!
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: biglg

Strange this was the issue, I should have thought about it but he made it sound like it had major issues! I had a 2005 dodge ram that went through wheels, rotations, tires, etc in the first 1,000 miles and it turned out it was the damn alignment! Cracked me up that they didnt think of this before a new wheel and tire!
It was pretty bad, they did rebalance the tires again which I'm sure helped some as well. But the alignment was the main issue. Truck had a constant shimmy, and the passanger side foot well vibrated at such a high frequency it would make your foot numb after 15 minutes. Also couldn't rest your head against the headrest as it would give you a headache.

All the work was done under warranty.

I'm actually looking forward to a 300 mile trip I've got coming up this weekend!

Quick Reply: Ride Quality (updated 2/21)