Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ride Quality (updated 2/21)

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2007 | 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ride Quality (updated 2/21)

Update on post 26

--------------------------

First post here, I'll just jump in with an issue I'm having.

Just purchased a 07 LT3 Tahoe 2wd. Right off the bat we had bad tires, just would not balance (bridgestone). All four tires were replaced with Goodyear Eagles (talking about the oem 20" wheel) by the dealer.

The ride up to 70 is now much improved,. However, highway speeds (70-80) it feels like I can feel every bump and crack in the road. I even get a steering wheel shimmy from time to time but it's not constant like a tire out of balance. In short I'm disappointed with the way this thing rides.

I have a 05 Ram 2wd with factory 20" wheels that rides much smoother then the Tahoe. I'm just wondering if the shorter wheelbase of the Tahoe makes for a rougher ride.

What do you all think? Should I have the wheels rebalanced? What type of ride quality do you all experience (I know it's subjective).

Aside from this, I love this thing, all the bells and whistle I need. This is our first SUV, proving to be very practicle.
Old February 5th, 2007 | 9:57 PM
CF Addict

Default RE: Ride Quality

I have had two 2005 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quadcabs. I now have a 2007 tahoe. If your Tahoe is riding rougher than the Rams, there is an issue. There is no way the Tahoe should be riding rougher.

I would definately say get everything balanced and aligned by the dealer. However, it seems the issue may be deeper. I dont know what it might be, but start with another alignment and balance job.
Old February 5th, 2007 | 10:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Get it checked out and documented by the dealer asap. My last truck was a 4x4 Tundra and was never in alignment, constantly pulling to the left. I had three different shops align it 5 separate times (twice by the dealer). Finally the guys at my local shop did a 4 wheel align and found the rear wheels were out and were unable to realign them without basically taking the entire rear-end off the frame. I traded the Tundra in on my Tahoe, which rides like a dream.
Old February 6th, 2007 | 3:59 AM
CF Veteran

The tahoe is amazingly smooth considering is has a solid rear axle.

The day after I purchased mine I took it back (Due to steering vibration starting at 60 mph) for a wheel balance and the problem was solved. I now rides like a dream and I also have the 20" OEM wheels.

Definately its an issue like biglg stated. I would take it back for further investigation.
Old February 6th, 2007 | 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, I couldn't believe two dodge rams (personal and work truck) were smoother at highway speeds then my Tahoe. Service manager told me to bring it in if I still didn't like the way it rode. Was real helpful with getting the original tires replaced. Still less then 3k on the thing.

I thinking maybe a wheel issue now.
Old February 6th, 2007 | 12:00 PM
CF Senior Member

There is definitely an issue. Go back to the dealer and have the tech take it for a ride and you take a ride in another one. Both of you can compare. Good Luck
Old February 6th, 2007 | 1:55 PM
CF Addict

My great great great grand dadhad a covered wagon that he drove across the plains out west back in the 1800's that rode better than a new Dodge Pick-up, my grand father owned a 53 Studebaker that looked better.
Old February 6th, 2007 | 2:28 PM
CF Addict

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

My great great great grand dadhad a covered wagon that he drove across the plains out west back in the 1800's that rode better than a new Dodge Pick-up, my grand father owned a 53 Studebaker that looked better.
So are you saying that the covered wagon rides better than the new Tahoe as well? Because Stingray said his Dodge Ram rode better than the Tahoe. Cant believe I just heard this from a Chevy man like you ZX.
Old February 6th, 2007 | 3:19 PM
CF Addict

I said nothing of the sort!
Only someone overdosing on Quaaludes would think a Dodge rode better than anything.

Check with your wife biglog, she’ll tell you I’m right.
Old February 6th, 2007 | 4:59 PM
CF Addict

Z,
My wife said you are full of ****!She said sheliked all of the last 5 Dodge RamsI have had better than the Tahoe. She said the Rams look better, runs better, rides better, and is more durable. Sorry, you told me to ask! I knew I shouldnt have!

Quick Reply: Ride Quality (updated 2/21)