Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rolled my Yukon! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2014, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002yukonxl
I don't keep comprehensive on the truck as it is my second vehicle, I don't owe on it, and I rarely use it for anything outside of fishing trips or moving the occasional building supply or refrigerator. Lesson learned. Better off over insured than under insured. Then I wouldn't be buying phone, laptop, and suits out of my own pocket right now, not to mention repair costs.
That sucks.

Worked out for a buddy of mine. Wifey wrecked the car. engine cooling system compromised. It was winter around here, she got back in and ran the motor to warm up. Motor destroyed. Totaled.
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I missed that paragraph. In that case, I would drain and replace all of the fluids before going any further. There's a chance, although small, that water got into one or more of the fluids. Why take the risk?
Old July 12th, 2014, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the covers off the fuse box in the engine bay, and plugged in the battery for a bout 3 seconds, which was enough to hear it sizzling like bacon on a hot pan. Went to a local jy and found the same fuse box, pulled it, brought it back, made sure all the fuses were in the right spot, and discod the old muddy one. I cleaned all the mud and corrosion filled molex connectors that will be reused with isopropyl and now I'm letting them dry (read using a hair dryer on them). Cross your fingers, I'm installing the new fuse box after lunch, and hoping for the best!

I have lots of progress pics, one of these days I will add them in where necessary.
Old July 12th, 2014, 3:12 PM
CF Active Member

Yes please keep us informed, sounds like your biggest concerns are not so big so far. Wishing you continued Good luck
Old July 12th, 2014, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Just got done with the maiden voyage.

It looks like I got a flat tire due to separation from the wheel, so I filed it up, drove to the gas station, refilled the tire again, and drove it home. It's driving and shifting like nothing ever happened, as long as you don't look at the exhaust. It's still smoking like crazy, I guess that's to be expected though.

I'll probably give it 100 miles then change the oil and filter just because I'm paranoid.

The Trans fluid reads in the center of the acceptable range, so I'm going to leave it be for now and continue to monitor.

If nothing else pops up, all that's left is to get it to a tire shop tomorrow, and bring it to the detail shop after that.
Old July 13th, 2014, 6:37 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The smoke could be caused by water in the exhaust system... does the exhaust have a smell?
Old July 14th, 2014, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
The smoke could be caused by water in the exhaust system... does the exhaust have a smell?
It did smell, like burnt oil, which i guess is to be expected. I doubt its water since the exhaust was like 5 feet above the water when it was on its side, I'm thinking it is most likely the oil that got into the top of the engine.

I forgot to mention in my last post, that replacing the fuse box in the engine bay along with the isopropyl alcohol cleaning of the molex connectors and door electronics literally solved every single electrical problem (even some that existed before it went swimming).

I gave it a quick shower yesterday and realized that I do have a little bit of body damage that I couldn't see when it was dirty. The fender is dented, and there is a horizontal wrinkle across the middle of the drivers door. It looks like Ill be searching out a replacement door, and probably trying to get the dent popped out of the fender, as I would rather not go through all the work of replacing it if I don't have to, but I've never had to pop a dent before, so I don't know if I will have any luck or not.
Old July 14th, 2014, 8:48 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

If the fender dent isn't creased, the paintless dent repair guys can fix it. I've had hail damage repaired that way and it works.
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

get an alignment check to verify bent suspension parts.
Old July 15th, 2014, 8:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default photos

pics or it didn't happen.