Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rubbing sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2023, 5:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Always a good idea to check the service bulletins for your vehicle . Nice find.
Apparently the dealer techs never learned.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; December 13th, 2023 at 5:31 PM.
Old December 15th, 2023, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtendo
24,000 miles for us. Only happens in the morning or when the car has been sitting for a while. Let me know what your tech says. My appointment isn't until January 9th....gotta love how getting service appointments are always so far out now.
Going Dec. 18th Monday and printed out that bulletin so that when I drive with tech I can also show that. Will let you know what happens.
Old December 19th, 2023, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting worse

The groaning/rubbing sound has been getting worse. I tried to use 4 high when it was snowing. It was jerking and clunking while turning and accelerating and I had to take it out of 4 high. I was not making tight turns. It also did the same thing in 4 high once. I have my second appointment at the dealer tomorrow.
Old December 19th, 2023, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

My dealership just told me they needed to replace the rear end... I don't think they attempted just changing fluids... So we are on a wait-list and told to not drive it any more than needed...

Originally Posted by tomtendo
Old December 20th, 2023, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Originally Posted by larinjon
My dealership just told me they needed to replace the rear end... I don't think they attempted just changing fluids... So we are on a wait-list and told to not drive it any more than needed...
I went and drove with tech after they could not duplicate AGAIN. I got in the car and it started making noise right away - the tech was surprised - but shouldn't have been. They still have the car so hopefully they can replace rather then just flush and put new lubricant because all that will do is mask the issue and probably get worse later, anyone thinking of selling or trading in?! Really fed up with all of this back and forth. By the way I also took the paper of the bulletin with this issue - they acted like they didn't know, crazy.
Old December 21st, 2023, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Erikmoncadajr
I went and drove with tech after they could not duplicate AGAIN. I got in the car and it started making noise right away - the tech was surprised - but shouldn't have been. They still have the car so hopefully they can replace rather then just flush and put new lubricant because all that will do is mask the issue and probably get worse later, anyone thinking of selling or trading in?! Really fed up with all of this back and forth. By the way I also took the paper of the bulletin with this issue - they acted like they didn't know, crazy.
Picked up car today only did noise slightly, was told they flushed 3 times and to drive it for 500 miles to break it in, I told them if after 500 miles and keeps noise I will bring it right back, hoping for the best. If I do go back they better replace the whole thing. We will see. Atleast all is documented.
Old December 28th, 2023, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same noise

21 Tahoe Z71 in S FLA… Been dealing with same issue for over a year. Working directly with GM after filing complaint with BBB. Truck has been at dealer over 5 times with each stay 2+ weeks. So far they have replaced 4x4 actuator, axels, and most recently the front diff each time they have had a GM field service engineer see the vehicle. Just picked it up yesterday and noise still present. Only resolution provided has been giving us GM reward points and extending drive train warranty. We are beyond frustrated.
Old December 28th, 2023, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vromerot1
21 Tahoe Z71 in S FLA… Been dealing with same issue for over a year. Working directly with GM after filing complaint with BBB. Truck has been at dealer over 5 times with each stay 2+ weeks. So far they have replaced 4x4 actuator, axels, and most recently the front diff each time they have had a GM field service engineer see the vehicle. Just picked it up yesterday and noise still present. Only resolution provided has been giving us GM reward points and extending drive train warranty. We are beyond frustrated.
Hi, Thanks for sharing...Mine is still making noise after the flushing and driving the miles suggested, will be making another appointment. However, it seems you have been with this issue a long time and nothing has fixed it, what will you do next? I'm seriously over it as well.
The following users liked this post:
vromerot1 (December 29th, 2023)
Old December 29th, 2023, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Erikmoncadajr
Hi, Thanks for sharing...Mine is still making noise after the flushing and driving the miles suggested, will be making another appointment. However, it seems you have been with this issue a long time and nothing has fixed it, what will you do next? I'm seriously over it as well.
Not sure what next step is but guaranteed I will continue to raise hell until there’s a satisfactory resolution. I did not pay this much money to listen to tin cans rattle.
Old December 29th, 2023, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vromerot1
Not sure what next step is but guaranteed I will continue to raise hell until there’s a satisfactory resolution. I did not pay this much money to listen to tin cans rattle.
Agree with you, I will do the same...Thanks for sharing - what part of Florida?

Quick Reply: Rubbing sound when turning