Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rubbing sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2023, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikmoncadajr
Agree with you, I will do the same...Thanks for sharing - what part of Florida?
Homestead Fl right by the Florida Keys
Old December 29th, 2023, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vromerot1
Homestead Fl right by the Florida Keys
Thanks, ok not to far from me, im in Palm Beach County....Would love to keep in touch about this Thanks.
happy holidays.

Last edited by Erikmoncadajr; December 31st, 2023 at 12:26 AM.
Old January 6th, 2024, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue with my Tahoe, told it is Steering rack

‘21 Tahoe z71- our power steering went out over a year ago. The steering rack was replaced and a couple weeks after that we began hearing the moaning noise when turning left (first 3 or so turns only) every morning and after sitting for x hours. Louder when cold outside. Taken it in at least 5x and they could not figure it out. Most times they couldn’t replicate the sound which was crazy since I hear it every single day. Had the steering column replaced and didn’t help.

Finally, yesterday the Chevy mechanic heard it. I emphasized (again) that the sound started when we had power steering failure and perhaps it was replaced with a faulty part and sure enough that’s what they discovered yesterday. The steering gear they installed is faulty. “The steering gear has excessive travel when truing in both directions esp left”. Unfortunately, the part is on national back order with no delivery date in sight. Really hoping to get this issue resolved. Too expensive and new of a vehicle to be dealing with these issues.

Will update when fixed! And hopefully the sound goes away!

I hope this helps someone. I am optimistic that this issue will finally be fixed!

Last edited by Summertime; January 24th, 2024 at 1:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vromerot1 (January 8th, 2024)
Old January 14th, 2024, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We just had our 21 Suburban in for this and I showed them this TSB (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...30610-0001.pdf). So far, it DID not fix the problem. WHAT THE F!
Old January 14th, 2024, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tomtendo
We just had our 21 Suburban in for this and I showed them this TSB (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...30610-0001.pdf). So far, it DID not fix the problem. WHAT THE F!
Yup what the F is exactly how I feel with this issue....Still ongoing for me too. I have spoken with many ppl and well so far getting nowhere - only good part is it goes away after a couple turns - however, will it get worse, is it safe?? Have my third appointment to see what can be done, this is crazy.....
Old January 14th, 2024, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Did you have the fluid replaced like I did from the TSB?
Old January 14th, 2024, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Did you have the fluid replaced like I did from the TSB?
Yes and then drove for 500 miles as they suggested it...still does it when idle and goes away after a bit. This will be my third time taking it. I had to drive with tech because they were playing dumb they they couldn't hear it so I duplicated it for them. I'm in Palm Beach Florida and I have spoken to many techs and seems like they have no fix on this, some say it may get worse before it gets better and that really doesn't help...still thinking about trading it or selling but I shouldn't have to do that! Crazy I feel your pain on this. We can certainly keep in touch to see what we can do on this ishhhh
Old January 14th, 2024, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Yes and then drove for 500 miles as they suggested it...still does it when idle and goes away after a bit. This will be my third time taking it. I had to drive with tech because they were playing dumb they they couldn't hear it so I duplicated it for them. I'm in Palm Beach Florida and I have spoken to many techs and seems like they have no fix on this, some say it may get worse before it gets better and that really doesn't help...still thinking about trading it or selling but I shouldn't have to do that! Crazy I feel your pain on this. We can certainly keep in touch to see what we can do on this ishhhh
Also in FL (SWFL). First few times I brought it in, they said they heard anything. Then I brought in the TSB as proof. How can there be no fix. Like, how is that allowed. Lemon law?
Old January 14th, 2024, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Also in FL (SWFL). First few times I brought it in, they said they heard anything. Then I brought in the TSB as proof. How can there be no fix. Like, how is that allowed. Lemon law?
Same here I brought that document to see but now I'm thinking what else can it be?!?! I have had a lemon (mercedes) but I believe that's in the first 2 years of a car in Florida.
Old January 19th, 2024, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vromerot1
21 Tahoe Z71 in S FLA… Been dealing with same issue for over a year. Working directly with GM after filing complaint with BBB. Truck has been at dealer over 5 times with each stay 2+ weeks. So far they have replaced 4x4 actuator, axels, and most recently the front diff each time they have had a GM field service engineer see the vehicle. Just picked it up yesterday and noise still present. Only resolution provided has been giving us GM reward points and extending drive train warranty. We are beyond frustrated.
Thanks, ok not to far from me, im in Palm Beach County....Would love to keep in touch about this Thanks.
happy holidays.
1/19/24 update GM called for appointment #6 truck going back to dealer 1/23. After front diff was replaced in December noise has just gotten progressively worse and louder even when in reverse. I filed lemon law and was approved for the repurchase replacement but FL lemon law states you have to pay for used mileage on the vehicle, I cannot afford to loose almost 20k on a $70k truck that is paid off. I guess I will be taking it back every month till they figure this out.

Quick Reply: Rubbing sound when turning