Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rubbing sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2024, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2021 sub rst

So I have the same rear axle moan noise when making a turn. I've had the issue now for months, after leaving the vehicle at the dealer overnight a couple of times so they could test drive it in the morning, they said they couldn't replicate the sound/issue. So I went up there and drove it for them with the mechanic in the vehicle - which at that time they clearly heard it. They replaced the differential fluid and I believe the noise got louder after that. So took it back last night and now they will replace the rear diff, for which there is no stock so who knows how long it will be to get it back.
they told me it shouldn't be driven until this fix is implemented due to the potential for more damage.
Old February 13th, 2024, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TBone66
So I have the same rear axle moan noise when making a turn. I've had the issue now for months, after leaving the vehicle at the dealer overnight a couple of times so they could test drive it in the morning, they said they couldn't replicate the sound/issue. So I went up there and drove it for them with the mechanic in the vehicle - which at that time they clearly heard it. They replaced the differential fluid and I believe the noise got louder after that. So took it back last night and now they will replace the rear diff, for which there is no stock so who knows how long it will be to get it back.
they told me it shouldn't be driven until this fix is implemented due to the potential for more damage.
So many different things being told to us all. Will they give you a car in the meantime? I've gotten no where, they basically want mine to fail and bring it in on a stretcher before they can do anything. I've also read replacing could make it worse.
Old February 14th, 2024, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2023 suburban RST

Hello everyone. I purchased a 2023 suburban RST from Miami lakes Automall with 0 miles for my limo business. Second day of driving it it shut off on me in the middle if the road. Took it back they reset the system and gave it right back to me. Then this clinking noises are out of hands. I am literally paying thousands of dollars a month for a vehicle that is parked or only used for personal rides just because the noises are too embarrassing. I have several videos recording the noises coming from passenger side, both back passenger sides abd trunk. Plus the sunroof. Oh the dashboard as well!! How can this be a $80k car!! I ll be filling for lemon law if these things can’t be fixed. I will be headed tomorrow to west Palm area to meet with a friend who is a manager as well for the last try. If not. Lawyers gotta do what they gotta do. I will keep everyone updated and I am sorry for everyone going through this issue!! I feel you
Old February 15th, 2024, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chevyistrash
Hello everyone. I purchased a 2023 suburban RST from Miami lakes Automall with 0 miles for my limo business. Second day of driving it it shut off on me in the middle if the road. Took it back they reset the system and gave it right back to me. Then this clinking noises are out of hands. I am literally paying thousands of dollars a month for a vehicle that is parked or only used for personal rides just because the noises are too embarrassing. I have several videos recording the noises coming from passenger side, both back passenger sides abd trunk. Plus the sunroof. Oh the dashboard as well!! How can this be a $80k car!! I ll be filling for lemon law if these things can’t be fixed. I will be headed tomorrow to west Palm area to meet with a friend who is a manager as well for the last try. If not. Lawyers gotta do what they gotta do. I will keep everyone updated and I am sorry for everyone going through this issue!! I feel you
let me know how it goes, I am in the West Palm area...crazy what we have to deal with sounds like all of us have the same issue at different levels.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, First post here. Joined the forum to reply to this thread, and monitor everyones progress.

2021 Suburban Z71
41K miles
Been experiencing the rubbing or moaning sound since around Nov. 23.
Took it to one dealership, and they hear the sound. They said fluid is on backorder, come get your vehicle, and they would call me when they get it. That was Dec. 18th 2023. Have checked back with them, and still no fluid. They did confirm that it is covered under warranty. I did not know about the TSB in this timeframe.

Frustrated, I Called the dealership in the next town over this past Monday. On the phone they confirmed they can get the fluid, and I told them about the TSB. They also confirmed that they will cover under warranty. I took it to them yesterday. they called me around 3pm, and said they would not cover it under warranty. And that it would be $700. I told them it clearly states on page 2 of the TSB that it is covered. They stood their ground, and said no. I told them to perform the third row seatbelt recall, and not to mess with the diff. Only reason I took it to them was becuase it was warranty. They gave me the part# for the oil, and I was able to find some on the internet. GM part# 19417365. He was nice enough, and said it would take 8 qts. to flush it 3 times.

So I called GM to ask them if it should be covered. They said NO. After going round and round with the lady, she put in a ticket, and escalated it. The lady said they would be contacting the dealership within 48 hours to see what they could do.

Im pissed. I plan to get the fluid myself, and change it. No way am I paying them $700 for that.
Old February 22nd, 2024, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by PhillipN
Hello, First post here. Joined the forum to reply to this thread, and monitor everyones progress.

2021 Suburban Z71
41K miles
Been experiencing the rubbing or moaning sound since around Nov. 23.
Took it to one dealership, and they hear the sound. They said fluid is on backorder, come get your vehicle, and they would call me when they get it. That was Dec. 18th 2023. Have checked back with them, and still no fluid. They did confirm that it is covered under warranty. I did not know about the TSB in this timeframe.

Frustrated, I Called the dealership in the next town over this past Monday. On the phone they confirmed they can get the fluid, and I told them about the TSB. They also confirmed that they will cover under warranty. I took it to them yesterday. they called me around 3pm, and said they would not cover it under warranty. And that it would be $700. I told them it clearly states on page 2 of the TSB that it is covered. They stood their ground, and said no. I told them to perform the third row seatbelt recall, and not to mess with the diff. Only reason I took it to them was becuase it was warranty. They gave me the part# for the oil, and I was able to find some on the internet. GM part# 19417365. He was nice enough, and said it would take 8 qts. to flush it 3 times.

So I called GM to ask them if it should be covered. They said NO. After going round and round with the lady, she put in a ticket, and escalated it. The lady said they would be contacting the dealership within 48 hours to see what they could do.

Im pissed. I plan to get the fluid myself, and change it. No way am I paying them $700 for that.
That's crazy, isn't it under powertrain warranty?
The following users liked this post:
vromerot1 (April 20th, 2024)
Old February 26th, 2024, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Update....

So the dealership called me back last Thursday morning (sometime after I made the post above). Service advisor was happy to tell me that he discussed the issue with the warranty department again, and they decided to cover it under the powertrain warranty. They knocked it out that day, and I was able to pick it up Friday. The sound is gone, and I hope it stays that way.
The following 4 users liked this post by PhillipN:
jpdgr8 (March 13th, 2024), mountainmanjoe (February 26th, 2024), Rednucleus (February 26th, 2024), vromerot1 (April 20th, 2024)
Old February 26th, 2024, 9:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

@PhillipN
That's great news Phil. Glad to hear it.
Any idea what they did? Feel free to post your service report (with your personal info obscured of course) if you want to help other owners.
jpdgr8 (March 13th, 2024)
Old February 27th, 2024, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

They flushed the differential as specified in the TSB.
jpdgr8 (March 13th, 2024)
Old March 17th, 2024, 4:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2021 suburban 55k miles

same problem guys but also my left from half shaft it’s very loose
did anyone else notice that??

Quick Reply: Rubbing sound when turning