Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rust spots ONLY on 07 Tahoe door molding???

Old July 9th, 2014, 1:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You're welcome. We are always happy to assist if needed!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by UNDERSCORE
Jessica,

I appreciate the offer to help but I know what the outcome is going to be.

Thanks
Old August 25th, 2014, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jobolin1
I also have the same problem and I have seen it on other burbs too. But only on pewter colored cars. Took it to dealer and they said it wasn't covered. after calling Chevy customer service about 5 times they finally said that it was a defect in that color/molding for that year. However.....they still will not pay to fix... Anyone else having same issue?
I would like to thank all of you that have posted regarding this issue. I just took my Suburban to my local dealership body shop (Central Valley CA) and a very competent employee told me that this issue affects multiple vehicles and colors that have the plastic body molding. Unlike the fender flares which are painted just like the rest of the vehicle, the color is added to the body side molding during the manufacturing process. These parts are not painted, and do not match the vehicles color exactly on the showroom floor. They do not have UV protection and will be effected by the heat. Cooler climates such as the Bay Area are not as bad. However, if your molding pieces have not deteriorated too much, the issue can be corrected by removing them and a complete paint process at a cost of approximately $500.00.

Now lets work on getting GM to foot the bill. I have not seen the issues on GMC / Cadillac vehicles, yet...
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down Discolor on trim 2007 tahoe

I too have the same problem with the trim on my tahoe. I believe there is a problem with the paint as well as material used for this trim if ALL years are repeating the same process. I am very upset with my servicer telling me it will cost over $400 to replace trim that was faulty in the first place. My tahoe is garage kept yet the paint has turned into a rust color. They said it is not rust but fading. This is going to be the beginning of my pursuit with Chevy and I will take this as far as I can and will not give up until they fix this. absolutely absurd to happen for a vehicle that is $54,000!!!!
Old December 18th, 2014, 2:04 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

jzwedding33
Welcome to the forum, please do keep us updated on what your out come is.
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

I am dealing with the same issue I have a 2007 Tahoe with the pewter type color and the door moldings have this- my dealer told me he would paint it for me at a pretty high price- disappointed to know that GM doesn't take care of something like that- I have always thought GM was the cream of American car quality - surprising
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

I found a a great way to fix the problem! I went to a local auto paint store. They matched my exact color to my Tahoe. It's a can of auto spray paint. Total cost was $13. I taped off my Tahoe and did two layers of paint. It looks brand new. Color match is amazing, you can't even tell. My Tahoe has now been through the car wash several times and it still is as good as new. The paint store I went to here in Phoenix AZ is called " Space Paint" good luck everyone.
Originally Posted by kstough
I have a 2007 Tahoe and these rust looking spots started showing up ONLY on the top part of the door molding. *Very* quickly, these spots grew and are moving down the molding. I was thinking brake dust rust but why would it ONLY be on the door molding? It is no where else on my vehicle? I have tried clay bar, wet sanding, and bug remover, but nothing works--I think the spots have gotten too out of hand. I do not have time to just sit there and wetsand for hours. HELP! Is this really rust dust? If so, can I just paint over without the rust coming through the new paint? What can I do? The attached photos are from a few weeks ago so it is now almost twice as bad

Oh, one last question--the Chevy warranty site states, "Sheet Metal: Rust-through coverage is for the first 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first."

Do you think this would cover molding? Is door molding even have any metal in it to be considered sheet metal?

Any help is appreciated
Old January 28th, 2015, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Solution to Rust

I had an earlier post about the rust on the molding on my 2007 Suburban. After contacting Chevy I was told that they could not paint the existing molding because they would not be able to warranty it. So the only solution that they offered was to order brand new moldings and install them. This was going to cost over $1,000. I also contacted at least 3 different auto body shops. They too did not recommend painting the moldings.

So I did some research and found some brand new moldings on the internet through a parts supplier (not Chevy) . I found a local body shop to paint them and install them all for under $400. This was the best solution I could find. And...my Suburban looks new again....I hope this helps.
Old May 30th, 2015, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default So sad

I too am having the same problem. I LOVE my car and was hoping someone would tell me that they were getting their moldings replaced...GM has to realize that their response to this situation directly influences whether or not I decide to buy another GM vehicle. Not standing behind the quality of something a customer pays a small fortune for is unreasonable. Jaguar, Mercedes, and BMW would never want poor quality craftsmanship on their vehicle. Well, I've got to set an appt to speak to someone at my dealership. I had already picked out my new car but I'm going to reconsider if I don't hear that they are going to provide me with another quality vehicle or at least promise me it will look decent and run fine for fifteen or so years like the SUV my dad drove until it fell apart...
Old May 31st, 2015, 9:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you were under base warranty they would cover this repair. There is no automaker in the world that will cover this out of warranty.

dealers are independent businesses. if you go to a dealer that you did not buy the car from; why should they be out of pocket to repair this. They never received any money from you and they won't see any from gm. why should they be out of pocket?
Old June 1st, 2015, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Law of return.

Originally Posted by tech2
if you were under base warranty they would cover this repair. There is no automaker in the world that will cover this out of warranty.

dealers are independent businesses. if you go to a dealer that you did not buy the car from; why should they be out of pocket to repair this. They never received any money from you and they won't see any from gm. why should they be out of pocket?
Well, let's start with the fact that I've moved to another state since the purchase. The dealer I am with will need to fix the problem if I trade it in...which is likely to happen at that dealer if he shows me that he is willing to facilitate this repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust spots ONLY on 07 Tahoe door molding???