Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Service 4 Wheel Drive???

Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Did the switch problem show up after the tranny change?
Old January 24th, 2010, 1:30 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An error like this would happen on the 2007 AWD Yukon Denali and I had to research it (it only happened like 3 times in total). After the research, I found out that the Denali does some type of systems check with all the sensors/systems and makes sure that everything responds normally and if something doesn't then it gives an error. It turns out that if you drive a few miles it will go away, or you could just restart the truck and let it do another systems check. The error that appeared on the Denali pertained to the traction control/AWD. I don't know if this is exactly what you're experiencing, but it sounded similar. Just an FYI.

Last edited by cam3439; January 24th, 2010 at 1:33 AM.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

My wife's '06 Tahoe is having this same intermittent issue. "Service 4 Wheel Drive System" message on the dash. This is occuring when in 2 wheel drive. A few weeks ago, it did it, and I noticed that it felt sluggish (like the brakes were on). After stopping the truck and re-starting it, the message and the sluggishness disappeared. This morning, my wife said she heard a very small "bang" from the front end when turning a tight u-turn in front of our house, and the error message came on again. Suggestions?
Old May 10th, 2010, 7:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

4x4van I would like to direct message you about this issue if I may. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Jeff, PM sent.

After she got to work, she started it back up in the afternoon, and all was fine; no warning message, no sluggishness. But this morning, the "Service 4 Wheel Drive" warning is on again, and again the truck feels "sluggish", almost like the brakes are dragging a bit.

I was somewhat hesitant to buy this vehicle (purchased used) simply because of the huge number of "bells & whistles", which inevitably is just that much more to go wrong. I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic, but the huge number of electronic/computerized sensors & monitors on this truck make me feel like an idiot, and the cost of taking it in to the dealer for diagnosis & repair every time one of these sensors "burps" does not make me a happy camper.

Last edited by 4x4van; May 11th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

I had this issue for quite some time with multiple trips to the dealer. They finally tracked it down to a connector on the front unit. They replaced the ground pin wire and connector in the harness and it's been working fine ever since.
Old May 16th, 2010, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, so after a trip to the dealer fora $92 diagnostics...the verdict is in:

Fault code C0327. According to the dealer, I need a new transfer case encoder motor. $421 for the part, $339 labor, total estimate: $760.

I have found the encoder motor online for $285, and also found a pretty thorough "how-to" including pictures. Looks like a fairly painless proceedure that I can accomplish easily. My only concern is whether or not the TCCM needs to be reprogrammed after the installation of the encoder motor? Anybody know for sure?
Old September 16th, 2010, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 4x4van
Ok, so after a trip to the dealer fora $92 diagnostics...the verdict is in:

Fault code C0327. According to the dealer, I need a new transfer case encoder motor. $421 for the part, $339 labor, total estimate: $760.

I have found the encoder motor online for $285, and also found a pretty thorough "how-to" including pictures. Looks like a fairly painless proceedure that I can accomplish easily. My only concern is whether or not the TCCM needs to be reprogrammed after the installation of the encoder motor? Anybody know for sure?

Where did you find the repair info????? Thanks
Old September 17th, 2010, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Here's the link: http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/...topic=17739&hl=
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Problem engaging all 4 wheels

I have a 4 wheel drive 1999 suburban 2500. There is no problem when I am traveling on level road in either 2 or 4 wheel drive, but when I go up my steep country gravel driveway in 4 wheel drive the drive trane does not sound right. It feels like all four wheels are not grabbing properly and when I have walked down the driveway, I have noticed areas where my wheel may have been either dragging or spinning (I can't tell since it leaves intermittent ruts in the driveway) which tells me something is not right. The only other clue is that I had been trying to haul a heavy trailer up the hill in the Fall and I was horsing it, spinning and trying to get the momentum to get up the steep part and I think that is when it started. Any tests or clues would help. How do I show a mechanic that doesn't have a hill (the truck is now in flat Ohio) the steep hill problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service 4 Wheel Drive???