Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Should I buy this tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2015, 7:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To buy used I look for four things that are a must. It must be a one-owner vehicle, it must be a by-owner sale, they must furnish a Carfax or equivalent, and, most importantly, they need to have all maintenance records and receipts for not only proof of that maintenance, but as support for the mileage that is on the odometer. Only an original owner can provide all of those things. A Carfax can be helpful, but in most cases is inconclusive; for example, a car is five years old. The Carfax shows zero miles when new, and the only other mileage that is posted is when the car is being sold. 15% of used cars have the mileage tampered with, so maintenance records fill in the blanks between new and the time of sale. If any of these conditions are not met, I won't even consider buying it. You are looking at a Tahoe that is a fleet vehicle, and you have know idea how accurate the mileage is nor what maintenance has been performed. In my opinion, you are taking a huge risk. Like one mechanic told me, he'd feel safer buying an older vehicle with high miles on it rather than low miles because then you KNOW it must have been taken care of. Records and receipts are a must, period.

Last edited by subfan597; April 11th, 2015 at 7:59 PM.