Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Smoke coming from cylinder 8 area

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2021, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming from cylinder 8 area

Made a quick video. https://youtube.com/shorts/K7dGugQOBUo?feature=share Smoke doesn't look like it's coming from the spark plug. Just below it to where I can't see. This randomly started after sitting for repair. Smokes as soon as it's started from a cold start here in Montana. Not too thick. Hard to tell if it's a sweet smell or oil. I live in the mountains and our 1 mechanic is out for good. Trying to save a 2 hour trip with smoking issues.
Old December 28th, 2021, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's usually oil leaking from a valve cover or whatever. It runs down the side of the head until it gets to a point that's hot enough to make it smoke. Look at it with a good light and maybe a mirror just above where the smoke is coming from. Fresh oil is glossy, old is dull because it has dirt stuck to it. When you find the highest point of the trail you've found the source.
The following users liked this post:
Burban04 (December 30th, 2021)
Old December 28th, 2021, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JPCaveman
That's usually oil leaking from a valve cover or whatever. It runs down the side of the head until it gets to a point that's hot enough to make it smoke. Look at it with a good light and maybe a mirror just above where the smoke is coming from. Fresh oil is glossy, old is dull because it has dirt stuck to it. When you find the highest point of the trail you've found the source.
Thank you. That was my first thought. What made me think it could be something else is that from cold 15 degree start it will smoke instantly. Could still be the case. I ordered a new gasket and I'm going to pull the valve cover off when I can, clean it, install new gaskets and hope that helps.
Old December 29th, 2021, 8:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Check your heater hose connection at the heater core. Do you have a rear heater in it? If so, there is a T connector there as well. I just had to replace the T connector in my Tahoe. Coolant drips right down on the #8 coil and right down on the exhaust manifold.
The following users liked this post:
Burban04 (December 30th, 2021)
Old December 30th, 2021, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by repairman54
Check your heater hose connection at the heater core. Do you have a rear heater in it? If so, there is a T connector there as well. I just had to replace the T connector in my Tahoe. Coolant drips right down on the #8 coil and right down on the exhaust manifold.
I'll check that out as well. Trying to get through the busy holidays first and then knock that out