Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

smushed 07 rear bumper.

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2006, 3:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smushed 07 rear bumper.

Kept telling the wife to be careful backing up at night, use the sensors. All that wasted energy as I am the one to back our new 07 of a week into a wood pole, damaging the rear bumper on the drivers side. No other damage, but its an eyesore. Any ideas besides the body shop of locating a replacement? Thank you in advance.
Old September 20th, 2006, 3:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: smushed 07 rear bumper.

Any pics of the damage? It would give us a better idea of what you are working with
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

No I dont have pics at the time. The part that is smasehd is right underneath the tail light, where it steps into the bumper and curves around the fender. I m thinkn that I will need to replace the whole bumper shell. I dont think there are even any part #s out for them yet?http:
Old September 20th, 2006, 5:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Don't let the wife drive the truck!
Old September 20th, 2006, 5:25 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: XM DUDE

Don't let the wife drive the truck!
Maybe he should let the wife drive the truck as hes the one to back it into something!
Old September 20th, 2006, 8:28 PM
CF Active Member

You probably won't be able to get around taking it to a body shop if the paint is damaged and you are not a painter yourself. (very minor scratches that haven't gone through the clear coat layer might be repairable by carefully rubbing them out with polishing compound)

If the bumper cover itself is damaged but not too badly, this plastic part can be repaired either in a body shop or subletted for repair at a bumper repair service. There is probably a styrofoam isolator or impact absorber beneath the outer cover that may also have to be replaced. If the impact was really great, there is a metal reinforcement beam beneath the foam that may be damaged as well. If damage to the reinforcement is great enough, the body structure or frame horns (tips) may have suffered distortion.

It probably wouldn't hurt to take it to a body shop for a free estimate and get an idea about the extent of damages.

Sorry you have to go through this with your new baby...

Good luck...dents and scratches ain't cheap.
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

I love it, its hard not to let her drive it when I bought it for her lol. Its either she smashes that or she tries to see over the wheel of the lifted duramax. I think i ll keep her in the tahoe. My solution is, got a part number from GM and purchased the piece for $350.00. The foam was not damaged as was none of the other impact componets. have a quote to paint it for 200.00. Not cheap but the estimate for the body shop to buy and replace bumper cover was $1300.00
Old September 22nd, 2006, 1:01 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds like you've answered your question. $550 is pretty cheap for a painted new cover. Assuming you are doing the R&R.