Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Sound quality for Bose system in 2007 LTZ.....

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound quality for Bose system in 2007 LTZ.....

I have to say, I am really dissapointed in the sound quality of the stereo in my 2007 LTZ. I bought mine about a month ago. I'm coming out of a 2003 Lincoln Navigator which had a stereo that blew the Tahoe away (in sound quality). I like the functionality of it (MP3, DVD, rear controls, etc.). The Navigator was cheaper too. Paid 45,000 for a Tahoe with crappy stereo. Does anyone know if the sound quality is better if you have the navigation system?
Old August 8th, 2006, 1:17 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Sound quality for Bose system in 2007 LTZ.....

Hey Swatson,
I just purchased a LT3 on Saturday, mine has the Navi-Bose system and I think mine sounds pretty damn good, not sure if this system differs from yours though. Does your system include the sub? Not sure why the system with the Navi would sounds better though.
Thanks,
Jay
Old August 8th, 2006, 1:18 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I have the Nav Radio w/ rear entertainment in my LTZ and think the sound is very good but then maybe I have a tin ear.
Old August 8th, 2006, 1:19 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same Bose speaker and amplifier system with or without Nav.

The Bose/GM audio engineers set the EQ in this system to a very natural and neutrally biased level, I haven’t been able to locate the exact claimed RMS power of the new Bose amp but believe that it’s somewhere around 250 watts which is not all that spectacular for a machine of this size.
The system offers fairly typical Bose sound which is a very sedate and melodramatic sound quality that is adequate for most, but uninspiring for some people that are use to systems with more power or that were tuned for greater dynamics.

Now, there is an update for Navigation stereo’s that suffer from low volume, this fix can be found in TIS version 2.75 and later, have the dealer install the latest software for the fix.
Old August 8th, 2006, 1:38 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

How do you determine if you have "low volume"?
Old August 8th, 2006, 2:40 AM
CF Addict

If you turn the volume all the way up and the sound level does not reach an uncomfortable level for a reasonable and prudent adult person, now if you're a real head-banger then it may never reach that level.

What you should do if you are the owner of a 2007 Tahoe with Navigation is during your next stop at the Chevy dealer have the service advisor write a repair order up for "low stereo volume", ask them to make certain that your vehicle has TIS version 2.75 or later and also check for any other software updates that may be available, these are covered under warranty if you tell them a symptom that you have that corresponds to an update.
Old August 8th, 2006, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

I have low volume only when listening to a DVD. Is this problem solved with the TIS update? What does TIS stand for?

Old August 8th, 2006, 10:07 PM
CF Addict

Lower volume on DVD playback is the result of Dolby Digital encoding on the DVD and there is no update to address this.

(TIS) is an acronym for Techline Information System, in a nutshell this system was designed to give GM dealers the ability to download and install software for reprogramming modules via an ordinary broadband internet connection. It's the same concept as the Microsoft Windows update downloads or a new firmware flash or driver for a device.
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

Is it possible for an update to fix this or is it something that we all have to live with?

Old August 8th, 2006, 11:17 PM
CF Addict

To keep it simple the low volume during DVD playback is not considered a problem but more the nature of the beast.
The reason for the lower volume is that the Dolby 5.1, 6.1 or DTS digital tracks have to be converted back into a normal stereo signal without loss of information the lower volume occurs during this mixing process (don't ask me why)

If you play an older DVD (encoded in simple stereo) you'll notice the volume is higher and for this reason we may not see an update to fix this.

Quick Reply: Sound quality for Bose system in 2007 LTZ.....