Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Spark Knock Woes

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2006, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Knock Woes

I recently bought a '89 Suburban from my in-laws. It has less than 5000 miles on a dealership installed crate engine. I am experiencing spark knock after the engine warms up. The "Check Engine" light will come on after the first instance, and there will be no more spark knock (which seems like normal operation.) I checked the timing, and it is set as per specification. I have been running premium gas the last couple of tannks with hopes a little more octane would help. No such luck. A couple questions:

1. Should I be concerned that I am seeing spark knock with a brand new engine?

2. How likely is a new ESC module to solve my problem?

At least the safety for the system is working as it "appears" it should and permanently retarding ignition once the code 43 is present. I can't help but wonder how much this is affecting my fuel economy (power, piece of mind, manhood.) I just do not want to throw money at a ESC module without checking everything else out first.

Old November 16th, 2006, 1:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spark Knock Woes

I had that problem on a '91 pickup. The knock sensor wires were frayed and I bought a replacement wire from chevy for about $15 and it fixed the problrm.