Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Spedometer and rev gauge fault

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spedometer and rev gauge fault

Im on a roadtrip with our Suburban -03 in Russia and the speedometer starts to die or either show 10km/h to much or little and i see that its not mowing linear all the thime. It seems to do small jumps. Also the rpm gauge dies after i driving for a time. Starts t a coffe bro work aftereak again.
I contacted a Chevy representant here in Moscow and he told me that it is not possible to just change the speedometer. The whole instrument cluster is whats possible to replace.

The customer service here was really nice and high above the level in Sweden.

Is it possible to just change the spedometer or is it the whole instrument cluster to be changed? Whats a resonable price for it in US? Do i need any OBD works or is it just to replace?
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah you gotta replace the whole cluster. I would check the grounds first and make sure they are good... I ran new grounds for mine and it did wonders...

:chug:
Old August 1st, 2011, 1:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Tnx
Im waiting to hear from the dealer closest to where im right now for a price and delivery time for the cluster.
I got told by som kind of extended warranty for the clusters but my car is probably to old to be covered by any warranties. -03 and 166000km
Old August 3rd, 2011, 7:50 AM
CF Active Member

If it isn't a ground problem, then look into the class action law suit on the instrument failures on 2003 Chevrolet Suburbans. The stepper motors are at fault, there are places in the US they can repair it for a lot less than a new cluster. Replacement stepper motors (of better quality) are available, but they are soldered in.

How many miles on your Suburban? <80,000 for partial and <70,000 for a full. I just bought a GPS with speed and use that.