Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Speed Limiter?

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Limiter?

I was driving to Colorado last week thru some rather empty areas and had the road to myself. I noticed I could not get the Ho over 97 mph. Does anyone no if they are speed limited (08 model)? It sure seemed like it had pedal remaining.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by fghtrpilot
I was driving to Colorado last week thru some rather empty areas and had the road to myself. I noticed I could not get the Ho over 97 mph. Does anyone no if they are speed limited (08 model)? It sure seemed like it had pedal remaining.
Yes it does, they started this years back.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 4:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah. In the mid 90's cars were governed at 112, then at 108, From 1998-present, everything is 98 or less. Some makes limit at 80, like Scion.
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

OMG, driving a 3 ton truck over 98 mph. Sounds like an application for the Darwin Award.

BTW, welcome to the Tahoe forum.
Old March 24th, 2009, 2:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Yeah. In the mid 90's cars were governed at 112, then at 108, From 1998-present, everything is 98 or less. Some makes limit at 80, like Scion.
Not everything. My 03 Impala LS is 108 and my 08 Impala SS is... well something above that.

It was a strange feeling the first time I hit that limit (like maybe the engine blew).
Old March 24th, 2009, 3:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to clarify, I meant SUVs and Trucks. I know for a fact Corvettes and SS cars are not limited at 98.

The best I can tell, it depends on the speed rating of the factory tires.
Old March 25th, 2009, 9:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by loulblades
It was a strange feeling the first time I hit that limit (like maybe the engine blew).
My 97 Tahoe cut out somewhere too but the speedo stopped at 85 so I don't know the exact speed but your right after so long at a certain speed it shuts off the fuel and the first time will freak you out... all you have to do is let off the accelerator and let the speed drop and you can go again but by then the race is lost.....

DISCLAIMER: I was in no way street racing as that is illegal, it was at an undisclosed racing location with anonymous participants that went their separate ways immediately after the race was concluded...

Last edited by in2pro; March 25th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info, I talked with a service advisor shortly after posting this and he said that they are limited to 98mph. He actually has removed his on his Avalanch and can get up to 115. I told him I was just going to leave it stock. While I don't advocate those speeds it was the middle of no where with excellent vis and no adjoining roads....I didn't even see another car for 40+ miles.
Old March 29th, 2009, 2:00 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Good info to have(top speed limit 98mph), thanks for following up now just brace for the inquires as to how you remove the limiter for that extra 17 mph !
Old March 29th, 2009, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Well, since you asked, this is from the Avalanche forum:

Info for anyone interested: Using the Diablosport Predator, I installed the 93 octane performance tune and removed the speed limiter a month or so back. Finally I had an opportunity to see if removing the speed limiter worked. First of all, I have been driving for well over 20 years, so I know what I am doing (for those who may find it necessary to admonish me for speeding) Anyway, on a local long straightaway with no traffic or houses/driveways, I found out yesterday that my '08 5.3 LTZ will top 120 mph with absolutely no problem. My '06 Nissan Titan with a K&N FIPK and a Banks Monster exhaust would only get to about 112-113, and it felt as though the drag was holding it back.... Anyway I was impressed, to say the least. That said, I will never take my truck up to that speed again, but I "had to know", and it's nice to know that it could embarrass a Titan up top.

Note: I do not recommend ever trying this, since at those speeds, anything that happens would be really bad. I should add here also that the ride was a little scary, but then these things aren't set up or designed to be running 120 mph either. Just know that if you use the Predator to remove the speed limiter, these trucks are capable of some dangerous top end speeds....we all need to be careful out there.

Quick Reply: Speed Limiter?